Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Nudity in Shopping Lens

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nudity in Shopping Lens

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    I just thought of something very easy to implement, which has the potential to solve the problems partially.

When we search the Dash for something, the results (Books, Videos, CD covers) images (the thumbnails) are a separate part of the process.

If you add a checkbox in config/privacy:
    [X] Show media thumbnails in the Dash search results.

- When checked it shows the media thumbnails.
    - When not checked, it shows a CD/Video/Book icon.

I was too lazy to go further (Friday night and I'm tired). But replacing the thumbnails is totally doable. I used the "blank sheet of paper" icon.

Attachment 224806

That way, traffic is still generated by us so companies still get their money, users can choose to allow visual intrusion or not in their Dash, there's no need to ask ordinary users to uninstall packages.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    I just disabled 'Techno" in filters and those "a$$ups" are gone ! errr .. or did somebody already do this ?
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I guess Won't fix is the reply you would get.

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1054282

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jokerdino View Post

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1054282
    I guess some of us don't want to let facts get in the way of complaining, you will be able to turn of seeing these results in the home lens, in System Settings->Privacy, before Quantal is released.

You can disable it yourself right now, by removing the unity-lens-shopping package. Keep in mind that Quantal hasn't been released yet, and there are still changes coming.

What really surprises me, is that nobody that is running Precise is complaining about this as you will get the same results as the op of the thread and ventrical got when running the searches they tried, and there is no way to turn it off in the home lens in 12.04.
    Last edited by cariboo907; September 29th, 2012 at 05:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-lens-shopping/+bug/1054282
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    So how many tries, and how long did it take both of you, goldsniper and ventrical to come up with an image of a nude?
    Just came back from my day-offs with my kids. Anyway, subscribed to the bug, (yes i tick the Affect me).
    As I said in my first post, it was not a search. It was an image of suggested product. I clicked the unity button and it was already there. (I wanted to search for 'gedit')

Personally, I think Unity is great. Shopping lens is great. Nudity is not.

And as always, this community have done a great job discussing and suggesting good workarounds. I'll try to apply them.

Personally, there are few alternatives out there and I'm considering to test them if this issue cannot be well addressed and going down the drain. Well, it's going to be Won't fix vs. Won't use. Afterall, we are our own bosses when it come to personal computer, right.

Thanks, all of you are really wonderful.

p/s : My link to my blog does generate more (55 to be exactly) addition page views till this time frorm this thread. If this bug affected you, I'll remove them ASAP.
    Last edited by goldsniper; September 29th, 2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: pgviews correction.
    ||MindaICT - List of things I did with Ubuntu||
    Proud Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) tester On HP Compaq Presario v3201TU
    Intel Core Duo 1.73GHz ~ 2 Gig DDR2 ~ Intel Mobile 945GM E.I.G.C ~ Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG ~ Intel HD Sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The fact it's commercial seems to be much more offending to me than the fact it contains nudity.
    (But anyway, I don't care, I'm happy with Gnome-Shell and XFCE )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bazon View Post
    The fact it's commercial seems to be much more offending to me than the fact it contains nudity.
    Personally, to me, it's neither. It's partly the principle - or as goldsniper said:

Quote Originally Posted by goldsniper
    Afterall, we are our own bosses when it come to personal computer, right.
    I also care about the privacy issue - the fact searches you run on your own computer, on your own files, will go off to Canonical by default, but without any context. On page six I gave some examples that I hardly think are contrived, where legitimate activity could look dubious or even illegal.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    <OT>
    There were a couple posts about Brazil.
    Brazil is rather (!) famous for super models Giselle, Alesandra, ($) with lots of internet pics wearing not much. There's a set of pics of an Australian super model wearing zero and a South African on a Miami beach with a teensy thin bikini. Big wow there is her -very- ripped boyfriend of 5 years. Links are in Huffington Post.

Difference is you have to actively look for those pics.

Just the opposite in our local Walmart. As one of my fitness friends said "defies gravity". Hardly believe it's the same species.

Beans

Why don't you guys provide feedback to Amazon asking to included a search filter on their site to exclude adult content? If enough of you make a noise then then maybe they will comply.

This filter can then be used by ubuntu if selected by the user in settings (will require a software feature) to omit results with adult content.

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Why don't you guys provide feedback to Amazon asking to included a search filter on their site to exclude adult content? If enough of you make a noise then then maybe they will comply.
    Firstly, that would address the problem of "accidental exposure" to adult material, but not the privacy implications. In either case, if I were Amazon, I'd probably say "if you don't want to see what we sell, then don't search our site" - and then spit out my coffee when you explain that your OS searches the site automatically, when you're not even trying to use the internet.

Secondly, it's not just about adult content. It's about unwelcome content full stop. It's no good coming up with solutions to specific questions if you're not addressing the underlying problem, which will keep throwing up question after question.

If you're searching your computer for an mp3, and Unity shows you the latest albums from the same band on Amazon, then that's relevant and cool.

But if you're an alcoholic who's searching for a file you downloaded called "alcohol.pdf", you probably wouldn't want your own computer to start trying to sell products like this or this the minute you type in "alcohol" (those are the top two results on the UK Amazon, by the way). Sure, an alcoholic has to put up with temptation every day, but not when he's trying to search his own hard drive.

If you're trying to find a letter to your divorce lawyer, or a missing persons notice to print out and put up where your teenage son was last seen, you might think Unity was being a bit tactless if it started showing you sensationalist novels about cheating housewives or missing people, based on your keywords.

I will always want to keep searching my own computer and searching the internet separate. Ultimately, I've not tried this feature myself (I'm using 12.04 LTS) - and as long as it's obvious how to disable it, and it's clear to users that what they type in the home lens isn't 100% private (unless they've disabled it) then I don't suppose it matters a huge deal.

But I find it bizarre how people on this thread are failing to grasp why others are alarmed by the feature, and fixating on small red herring details (like whether mild nudity is or isn't offensive) rather than looking at the bigger picture.

This is what we're talking about:

- Your computer telling someone else what keywords you look for in your own private files on your own computer

- That information being used commercially

- Information and images that you didn't ask for (and might find unwelcome or offensive) being shown to you, when you're trying to search through your private collection of information and images

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast