Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nudity in Shopping Lens

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Nudity in Shopping Lens

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    If ubuntu allowed filtering & persistent filtering of all lens/scopes that returned online results that would slightly lesson some objections
    If Ubuntu used filtering in the lenses people would moan that their freedom was being impinged.

Beans

oh.. finally something appealing in Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I have to wonder where all the people complaining about this were in 12.04, maybe even 11.10
    The 2 Ex. mentioned here have nothing really to do with the shopping-lens, you can see the same results for both in 12.04
    I didn't realize that the lenses were pre-fetching web-sites until I had seen this thread. I always just used firefox browser/google/youtube. With the latter we pretty well know what to expect but I didn't realize that this stuff was being pre-fetched in the unity lenses. Now I know. Then that makes me wonder what zeitgiest is doing.

Also , isn't this just plain duplicity of services? If it is, then what a waste.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

Also.. I tried an experiment in <movie-lens>. I typed in 'marilyn the wet elephant' and pretty well got nothing. Then I typed in 'marilyn the wet' and one of the results was so far out in left field that it will make you wonder (I won't mention it here).

THEN: I went to google and typed in the same and did not receive anything that was close to what came up in the lens.

Pesonally I am not complaining and it's really none of my buisness. I'm just asking. I'm just asking where is Ubuntu going with this and what if a kid (younger person) types somthing in inadvertently and gets a show-stopper-pic!? I mean .. I am just asking, does Ubuntu think that those pics/movies are appropiate or is it out of their 'scope' to really be concerned (no pun intended).

What .. me worry !
    Alfred E. Newman
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I didn't realize that the lenses were pre-fetching web-sites until I had seen this thread. I always just used firefox browser/google/youtube. With the latter we pretty well know what to expect but I didn't realize that this stuff was being pre-fetched in the unity lenses. Now I know. Then that makes me wonder what zeitgiest is doing.

Also , isn't this just plain duplicity of services? If it is, then what a waste.
    There is one important difference between the youtube/ubuntu-one scopes and the shopping lens. In that their results don't appear in home lens. NSFW results in amazon ads are worsened by the fact they are there by default.

Let us be serious. This needs a filter. The argument that people would complain about censorship is quite frankly, very absurd (For starters, it assumes that all complaints are worth the same. But the reality is that lack of a parental control in these searches will displace the markets of professional people and parents. As long as the filter is toggleable, this wouldn't be any different to google image search. It does not matter what your views on unity are. Because really, some people don't have a choice. If nude images appear on your computer display while you are at work "But We all come nude to this world! Man!" arguments won't work. The last thing anybody serious wants is nude pics appearing unpredictably. And if there is something that the shopping lens is great at is being unpredictable.
    Last edited by vexorian; September 28th, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro

Interesting diagram of how the lens might be working.

http://benjaminkerensa.com/2012/09/2...s-likely-works

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Interesting diagram of how the lens might be working.

http://benjaminkerensa.com/2012/09/2...s-likely-works
    Thanks, this is good info.

By the way, about getting rid of the ads: this is obvious to us but might help people that just want to get rid of ads and don't want to uninstall packages and mess their install:

Code:
    $ echo -e '127.0.0.1\tproductsearch.ubuntu.com' | sudo tee -a /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 productsearch.ubuntu.com
    Code:
    $ cat /etc/hosts | grep productsearch
    127.0.0.1 productsearch.ubuntu.com
    Ping it just to test: it's 127.0.0.1
    Code:
    $ ping productsearch.ubuntu.com
    PING productsearch.ubuntu.com (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.058 ms
    64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=0.061 ms
    ^C
    --- productsearch.ubuntu.com ping statistics ---
    2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 999ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.058/0.059/0.061/0.007 ms
    After doing that the NAICO test shows me nothing on the dash now.

Regards,
    Effenberg

EDIT:
    Netstat is showing me a ton of connections to two canonical hosts:
    $ netstat -tupal | grep -i canonical
    There's a lot of connections to alkes.canonical.com and achernar.canonical.com, so I have added both to /etc/hosts as localhost too.
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; September 28th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    People were around for a couple million years before cloth was invented. Now what's the big deal... My personal opinion, video "shoot em up" games are far far more harmful to society. My view, violence begets violence.
    Personally, I totally agree with your values here but some people don't like to see nudity, even mild nudity.

Even in public at Miami beaches and Brazil etc. the teeny bikini's don't hide much.
    When you walk outside your own house in Miami or Brazil (and equally, when you go looking on the internet) you run the risk of seeing things you don't want to. That's a feature of the fact that we share the world with other people, and some spaces (real and virtual) belong to all of us.

But you shouldn't have to run the same risk looking for files on your own computer.

It's like saying, "You see plenty of graffiti when you drive to work and back, so what's the problem if we spray some grafitti on your living room wall?" The difference is it's your living room wall. When you're sitting in your own house, you should have total control over what you're exposed to.

In computing terms, when you're looking for a file in your own folders on your own computer, you're "sitting in your own house". Seeing an image there is not the same as seeing it on the internet, or on a beach in Miami - I humbly submit.

Beans
    Distro

<OT>
    There were a couple posts about Brazil. I find it funny that people think we're naked here. I just wanted to point out that this is a 194 Million people country and we do buy clothes from the same brands available in US, Europe and Asia. All major global companies have offices here and people wear normal clothes. You can't really take your clothes off and expect the police to not arrest you. I live in the biggest city (Sao Paulo) which has 12 Million inhabitants. I haven't ever seen anyone naked in the street.

Travel agencies here generally have pictures of Disneyland. Are all people in US using Mickey Mouse costumes?
    </OT>

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans

Ok listen up. If you don't like the search results passed on from amazon then uninstall the shopping lense. What you get from the search results is the same as what you would get from doing a search on the amazon web page.

Now in 12.10 you will get the option to disable the internet search function from your lense utility or whatever it's called and it will probably be backported to 12.04.

It's not Ubuntu's fault the content resides in amazon and it's not ubuntus responsibility to uphold your puritan values. If you don't like it don't use it, simple as that. I abhor censorship of all forms, especially where minorities dictate to others what they can and cannot see. I would be p'ed off if I searched for a music album and got no result simply because someone decided the cover art is to risqué.

It's not Ubuntu's job to enforce your parental responsibilities, take responsibility for your own kids and enforce your own religious/puritan prejudices as you see fit. You are free to disable the function or install another distro, nobody is holding gun to your head saying you must use this. I for one don't use it but this does not mean I should enforce my beliefs on others.

Why is it that people need a nanny in their lives?

I would be interested to see the demographics wrt to the complaints but I already have my suspicions.

You have choices in life, exercise them.

EDIT: Let me copy and paste this here before more people have puppies,

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/i...s-in-the-works

Ubuntu 12.10 Amazon Shopping Results to be Made Optional
    By Joey Sneddon, posted September 25, 2012

Ubuntu’s last-minute decision to add shopping results to the Home Lens of the Unity Dash proved controversial earlier this week - but is a compromise on the cards?

It certainly seems so. The only question is whether the compromise will land in time for Ubuntu’s release next month.

Developer

News of a change in tact came in a Google+ update from Unity developer Didier Roche. It was this update that first revealed a way to ‘disable’ online suggestions was coming, writing:

“First plumbing part (in libunity) done for optionally disabling all network communication for the unity lenses. Tomorrow will be the lenses work, and when I’ll get the design, the UI part…”

The bug report pertaining to this issue has since been marked as of “high” importance, and in “triage” (i.e. something I getting done about it).

The bug report relating to this issue marks all ‘network’ using Lenses and Scopes – Music, Video and Home – as ‘affected’.

So it seems that this solution is going to be a thorough one.

Code Exists

Since then further clarification on where the feature will be available from, and how it’ll work.

The bug report reads:

We will add an option either in the appearance or privacy gnome-control-center panel (this is yet to be discussed with design).

This Commercial/Online suggestions on/off switch enables to remove all suggestions in the dash and default lenses.

A setting within the Privacy section of System Settings would make the most sense to me.

Offline or Online

The work on an interim solution is running concurrent with discussion on the Ayatana Mailing list.

Over there, Mark Shuttleworth has been actively engaged with users in shaping up a “settings pane” from which various elements of the Dash/Lenses/Scopes would be configured – including the option to disable internet results for lenses.

Sam Hewitt kicked things off with a set of mock-ups that got a positive reaction. These have since been refined based on feedback and suggestion – could this be what we end up seeing in Ubuntu 13.04?

Last edited by mips; September 28th, 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast