Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nudity in Shopping Lens

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Nudity in Shopping Lens

I just searched for the same phrase using firefox (which includes an amazon search plugin) on amazon mp3 search and i do see the picture you mentioned. Same happened on chrome and internet explorer. But clearly for you google, microsoft and mozilla are not in the "Shame on you Ubuntu! You disrespect greedy OS!" category. Look, amazon is no pr0n site either, but clearly the picture is a music cd cover and the guy actually promoting nudity here is the one you were looking for in the lens. Personally, i don't like the idea of an operating system as a constantly connected internet portal. But these days everone is obsessed with social networking and internet, and operating systems are just catering to their needs. Whats the guarantee that the same thing won't happen in iOS or Android OSes.

Your concerns are all entirely valid but i don't think sensationalizing and name calling are ways to go. Besides as far as i know isn't the whole shopping lens thing currently only available in 12.10 Beta? So either you are running a beta 1 OS on your home PC (which is weird) or you have deliberately installed the lens in 12.04 (hmmm!).

Seeing how many people have objections with this feature, i have a feeling it'll either get removed or disabled in the final release. Though you must file a bug as you mentioned in your blog post.

And if all elese fails, <sarcasm> you can always ask for your money back.</sarcasm>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is a bug report about this one:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1054282

It's currently marked as Won't Fix due to what looks like some completely unreasonable thinking going on over at Canonical. Your screenshot nicely demonstrates (as if it needs demonstrating) that a completely innocuous search can bring up some pretty unexpected results (sometimes things people probably don't want their computers telling them they should buy), and your story says exactly why this is a bug that needs to be fixed through whatever means are necessary. It violates peoples' trust in Ubuntu. We all have different views here (I don't really find that album cover shocking), but Ubuntu should respect that fact by not pressing it. It's for humans, after all: we're all a little bit different.

You might be interested to know the shopping lens was yanked out for Edubuntu:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1055705

While I'm on this topic, it's interesting to note Amazon's terms of service. Now, I'm not sure if using a search proxy constitutes "using an Amazon service," but if it does, people under 18 are breaching those terms of service as long as they use the dash home search without parental involvement. I'd be interested to know the legal perspective there.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; September 28th, 2012 at 05:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

FOSS is wonderful, Ubuntu is great and so is Canonical. But I think we should drop the "use something else" approach when things are just wrong. This is wrong.

We're used to the idea of seeing things we may not want to see (or we may not want our kids to see) when we turn on the TV, when we browse the web, when we go to to any store, etc. That's another problem, another companies to blame, a part of modern life. But IMO no one should be under the slightest risk of seeing stuff they don't want to when looking for a document.

Sure, one can uninstall a package, use Super+A (Search Applications), Super+F (Search files), maybe even block specific network traffic and domains. We can also trow the old "This is FOSS - you're free to go use something else". This last one is vicious IMO.

And, although everyone will run to say that those are not ads, they are. Someone here (I think it was Vexorian) made it very clear. What do we call intrusive content, with price tags, that show in our screen when we were clearly not actively looking for them? Ads.

But it doesn't matter. What matters is that this was thrown in with no consideration whatsoever on the effects it could have on the users, their families, work environments. The community played no part in it, as it is becoming more and more usual. We didn't even understand how it came in apparently after the freeze.

I don't want to be a part of the anti-everything group. I love FOSS, I like Ubuntu, it's been a part of my personal and professional life for years. I like Unity. I respect Canonical for all the money and work they put into this. I believe there are viable business models to fund FOSS. It's OK to make money with it. But the way things are being done is just wrong.

Being very explicit, the way Canonical is doing things is wrong. I don't see a strong Community Council, thinking about the community. I don't see a strong technical board. I don't see the whole "supreme dictator for life" as something funny anymore. This is a professional OS - we should act accordingly.

We must feel free enough to accept that this was wrong, openly discuss it. And not tell users to use something else.

Sorry for the rant.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; September 28th, 2012 at 06:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm not using Unity but I think that, beside removing the shopping lens, you can customize the dash. As far as I've seen somewhere, there are boxes to uncheck.

Anyway, I consider this shopping lens a nuisance so, maybe if we compain a lot the dev will remove it definitively?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by @nne View Post
    I'm not using Unity but I think that, beside removing the shopping lens, you can customize the dash. As far as I've seen somewhere, there are boxes to uncheck.
    Where? AFAIK there's no customization. It's a mandatory feature for ordinary users with no technical skills to disable it.

Anyway, I consider this shopping lens a nuisance so, maybe if we compain a lot the dev will remove it definitively?
    No, not devs, because it was not something developed by the community and contributors, it came from Canonical, the company that owns Ubuntu. The only reason we *might* see a way to disable it in the near future is because users reception is creating bad branding. Not because they consider this was a mistake. Read this: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1182

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Where? AFAIK there's no customization. It's a mandatory feature for ordinary users with no technical skills to disable it. egards,
    Effenberg
    Here: http://www.iloveubuntu.net/option-en...quantal-beta-2

Maybe it's still "upcoming".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The bug report which says (quite reasonably) 'please move this stuff to a shopping lens instead of dumping these results unexpectedly in the home lens' is over here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1054776

It's among the top 60 hottest bugs in Ubuntu. (Bug heat is based on duplicates, as well subscribers and people affected). The official response has danced completely around the topic. The more people clicking the 'affects me' button the merrier, but I'm getting the impression that the best solution is for this to actually continue along its current trajectory. If we're right, it'll result in at least one somewhat major PR screwup and people will learn a valuable lesson about testing and listening to users (which would not have been learned if they had simply 'given in' to us whinging). If we're wrong, I for one will happily eat my hat.

Hopefully, either way, there will be no long term damage.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; September 28th, 2012 at 07:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Here: http://www.iloveubuntu.net/option-en...quantal-beta-2

Maybe it's still "upcoming".
    Maybe. Right now it looks like this:

Screenshot from 2012-09-28 03:12:31.png

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    [...]but I'm getting the impression that the best solution is for this to actually continue along its current trajectory. If we're right, it'll result in at least one somewhat major PR screwup and people will learn a valuable lesson about testing and listening to users (which would not have been learned if they had simply 'given in' to us whinging). If we're wrong, I will happily eat my hat.

Hopefully, either way, there will be no long term damage.
    This makes a lot of sense.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Maybe. Right now it looks like this:

Screenshot from 2012-09-28 03:12:31.png

Regards,
    Effenberg
    This feature must have a package. Maybe you can uninstall it? We don't have this in Gnome shell, so maybe you could also consider migrating to Gnome shell remix?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast