Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: What keeps me and many others from installing Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Suggestion: What keeps me and many others from installing Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Anathaen View Post
    I was using Ubuntu. WAS. Looking at how they work on it I'd seriously give it a try if they'd be willing to make it more user friendly from another perspective, the real user perspective.

Coz quite frankly, a 50 years old user will not be willing to type something in a terminal, would they?
    Why ever not???

You make it sound as if 50 year old users are almost in the grave, can not possibly make use of a terminal with some simple commands, and are stupid idiots!

Have you considered that some users, some considerably older than 50, such as me, are quite able, and like to use the terminal for many purposes. Many of us are also probably able to remember the "good old days" of ms-dos and its terminal commands, as I certainly can, though that was a lot less useful than the Linux terminal commands available to us now.

Beans

Ubuntu devs should be aware of that.

But more to the point, blacklisting of older and troublesome hardware is a real issue here. That needs the highest attention, so that Ubuntu runs on every computer.
    That would require that ordinary users such as yourself submit bug reports and brainstorms so that Ubuntu is tested on the widest possible range of hardware. Will you do this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    That would require that ordinary users such as yourself submit bug reports and brainstorms so that Ubuntu is tested on the widest possible range of hardware. Will you do this?
    I'm curious how the folks over MS do it. Coz Windows may be pure crap, but at least it can run on anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Why ever not???

You make it sound as if 50 year old users are almost in the grave, can not possibly make use of a terminal with some simple commands, and are stupid idiots!

Have you considered that some users, some considerably older than 50, such as me, are quite able, and like to use the terminal for many purposes. Many of us are also probably able to remember the "good old days" of ms-dos and its terminal commands, as I certainly can, though that was a lot less useful than the Linux terminal commands available to us now.
    Am talking about the majority. Not many folks over 50 let's say, was just an example, simply put, elderly people won't be willling to type something into a terminal to install / update something.

That's the principle of Windows and that's why still many prefer Windows over anything.

It should be in the interest of the developers to make an OS as much user friendly as possible.

Beans

Am talking about the majority. Not many folks over 50 let's say, was just an example, simply put, elderly people won't be willling to type something into a terminal to install / update something.
    You do *not* have to use a terminal just to install/update something in Ubuntu! That's just false! I am regretting that I mentioned a terminal command earlier in this thread (I was only trying to help).

That's the principle of Windows and that's why still many prefer Windows over anything.
    Windows has a terminal, same as Ubuntu. I really do not think that is the main reason why Windows has larger market share.

It should be in the interest of the developers to make an OS as much user friendly as possible.
    "User friendly" to who? You are not an Ubuntu user, neither am I, so why should Ubuntu listen to our definition of "user friendly"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was and you know what my first experience with Ubuntu was? It crashed my system after the first update.

That's what I'm trying to point out.

- no destructive kernel updates
    - no blacklisting of older hardware

That's the whole point of this thread.

Beans

I was and you know what my first experience with Ubuntu was? It crashed my system after the first update.

That's what I'm trying to point out.

- no destructive kernel updates
    - no blacklisting of older hardware

That's the whole point of this thread.
    And do you feel that, by making this thread, you have communicated enough information to solve the problem, to the people with the power to do so?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

to anyone saying MS supports all hardware, they don't actually support it the manufactures support windows, not the other way around
    not all manufacturers support linux and a lot of hardware is community supported and in some cases this is better than the manufactures Linux drivers
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Closed - this is not a forum/website problem.
    Forum Feedback & Help Report technical problems with the website here (i.e. broken features), or ask questions pertaining to forum features.
    Last edited by Iowan; September 28th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Coz quite frankly, a 50 years old user will not be willing to type something in a terminal, would they?
    Lol.
    Last edited by lisati; September 28th, 2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Careless click, now restored to rightful place

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast