Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a cheap voip/softphone

Beans

looking for a cheap voip/softphone

Hello, i came here to ask if anyone had tried any voip providers meant to be run primarily as a softphone. I plan to use either 3G/4G or wifi with a laptop running ubuntu to make and receive calls. I don't care very much about features, except caller id, which i assume is pretty much standard. I am looking for the cheapest available plan that has loosely limited or unlimited call length and no ads. (i don't see myself talking for more then 30 minutes at the most) And of course the app should run natively in ubuntu.

Has anyone had time to try some of these? Thanks in advance for any input.

Beans

Re: looking for a cheap voip/softphone

bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

skype if you can make it work.
    Has problems with some mics
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

google voice?

free calls and sms to the us and canada and very cheap to the rest of the world....

comes with customized voice mail and whatever else https://voice.google.com

Beans

The problem with VoIP and SIP is that it is no use unless the people that you want to talk to also use the same thing. So, in general these days, Skype is best, since it started many years ago and now has many millions of users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's one more reason why open standards like SIP should be encouraged. It is not mutually exclusive with other options which people may or may not have already installed. Also, SIP has better sound quality so it is worth encouraging.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use diamondcard.us. They charge a per-minute fee with varying rates around the world, but because it's my second line, the costs come out to being far cheaper than paying a monthly flat fee. Even as a primary line, I would use it instead of my local carrier, if I didn't need the listing.

As an example, a 5-minute call in the U.S. just cost me $0.086.

I've never paid much for any call, even overseas (I mostly call cellphones in the U.K.).

And the previous poster was incorrect. I can call any phone number, whether or not they have SIP or not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    The problem with VoIP and SIP is that it is no use unless the people that you want to talk to also use the same thing.
    99.99% of SIP providers provide gateways/breakouts to normal telephone networks.

My understanding from the OPs post is that he would like to call 'normal' phone numbers from a softphone hence him mentioning lowest call charges as softphone-softphone is usually free.

Beans

i could never figure out google voice. it seems like it is not a phone plan but some kind of redirection service.

diamondcard looks promising but the softphone is an exe file. did you have any luck using it with wine or do they have a native one available?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can't you use Diamondcard with Ekiga or Jitsi? Or am I misunderstanding the service they sell?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast