Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iptables configuration issues

Beans

iptables configuration issues

Hello,

I have recently setup an installation of ubuntu and have been attempting to set some rules using an iptables.rules file that is loaded upon boot.

The configuration I have allows my ssh connections & will also allow my pc to access via port 80 for my website when pageant is running. However if I reboot my pc or use my apple laptop I am not able to establish a connection when my full iptables configuration is in place. When I disable the iptables setup & reboot the ubuntu installation I can establish a connection so I know for sure it is my configuration that is not correct.

I am a little new to setting up iptables & can not figure out what is wrong here & need some advice from people more experienced. I have allowed port 80 connections but it is still blocking with my current configuration.

Here is what is in my iptables.rules file:
    Code:
    *filter
    -A INPUT -i lo -p all -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    -A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 3306 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --dports 8001,8002,8003,8004,8005,8006,8007,8008,8009,8010 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW --dport 56325 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW --dport 10852 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -j REJECT
    -A FORWARD -j REJECT
    COMMIT
    Somehow the rule is not being tripped because it just rejects a regular connection. The connection to my site can be established when my pageant is running but that should only be for ssh on the example ports shown above (56325 & 10852) & not anyone's regular connection. Port 22 is disallowed as I use the example 56325 for my terminal.

Any ideas on what I have misconfigured?

Thank you.

Beans

Re: iptables configuration issues

Hello there are one or two things I will try to point out to simplify this as much as possible. iptables you have INPUT OUTPUT and FORWARD Chains. In your example you list only INPUT??? network communication generally requires Full Duplex(2 way) so think of your rules the same way you need INPUT and OUTPUT take a look at the 2 rules I have listed below:
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --sport 80 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

The first rules allows New and Established incoming connections the second allows Established Outgoing connections. I hope this helps

Chad

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chadk5utc View Post
    Hello there are one or two things I will try to point out to simplify this as much as possible. iptables you have INPUT OUTPUT and FORWARD Chains. In your example you list only INPUT??? network communication generally requires Full Duplex(2 way) so think of your rules the same way you need INPUT and OUTPUT take a look at the 2 rules I have listed below:
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --sport 80 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

The first rules allows New and Established incoming connections the second allows Established Outgoing connections. I hope this helps

Chad
    Hello,

Thank you for the assistance.

This part of my rules should allow all output on any port, should it not?
    Code:
    -A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT
    .. you appear to be posting some direct commands for ethernet port (eth0) .. I have no ethernet[0] setup. this is a remote server setup & the commands are being put into a loaded file... but you did give me an idea to try by using something similar for port 80 which I will attempt to find the correct syntax.

Beans

Yes -A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT does allow All out, however I would only allow what I need no more no less. Yes I used port 80 as a reference but you should be able to change the port to suit your needs. Even on a remote machine if you type the command ifconfig(as sudo or root) you should see a couple blocks of information and the first line should look like this: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet ...This info would be helpful when creating your rules. I use eth0 as this is default on my server, yours maybe different. Your ethernet device will be the very first thing listed.

Beans

Chadk5utc,

Thanks again for helping me out btw.
    It is venet0 for my interface.. Ok I have omitted the rule to allow all outgoing traffic & allowed outgoing traffic on only the ports I am using with tcp established. Should I configure both source & destination for this setting (all used ports)?

Also which default ports are normally used for other OS functions? ie. DHCP, DNS, etc. I am told port 53 is mandatory for DNS .. DHCP is 67, 68 UDP, etc.. I use a different port for ssh other than 22 so should I have a drop command for port 22?

Thank you.

Code:
    *filter
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j DROP
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp -m multiport -j ACCEPT --dports 80,443,8089
    -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp -m multiport -j ACCEPT --dports 67,68
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 53 --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
    -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
    -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 53 --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp -m multiport -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT --dports 10852,56325
    -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp -m multiport -m state -m physdev --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT --dports 80,443,3306,8089,10852,56325 --physdev-out venet0
    -A OUTPUT -j REJECT
    -A INPUT -j REJECT
    COMMIT
    Last edited by underdogz; September 26th, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added iptables code

Beans

ok heres what I do with my own rules. First I change the default policy
    # Set Default policy
    iptables -P INPUT DROP
    iptables -P FORWARD DROP
    iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
    This is the recommended way and I believe the most secure way. Then add your rules to ALLOW only the services and ports your need. Keep in mind I would test these on a local machine before they go on a remote machine that you do not have easy access to because if you make a simple mistake you can lock yourself out. If you do not use port 22 for SSH, either remove that rule or simply change the port number to the one you do use. Its good to use non standard port for SSH it really helps cut down on the number of break in attempts. Doing your rules this way you keep it simple and if its not Allowed in your rules its denied by default.
    Last edited by chadk5utc; September 26th, 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Beans

chadk5utc,

The first set of commands you gave me worked perfectly by supplementing my interface. Outputs are now specific including lo .. everything is working as it should.

The recommended way that I have read on the ubuntu website is to save it to a file where it can be tested first & then initiated. It can be optionally loaded at boot when the configuration for at least the ssh terminal & perhaps port 80 are tested as correct. Commands are entered reverse of direct inputs as any accept rules have to be be prior to the final *reject/drop all* commands.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by underdogz; September 27th, 2012 at 05:17 AM.

Beans

Yes your correct you can save all your rules and load them at boot. There are a number of ways to do that. I use scripts when testing rules so that I can load them or unload them as I need to. What else are you having trouble with?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chadk5utc View Post
    Yes your correct you can save all your rules and load them at boot. There are a number of ways to do that. I use scripts when testing rules so that I can load them or unload them as I need to. What else are you having trouble with?
    chadk5utc,

I am not having any troubles with the iptables atm. I want to add logging but I can probably figure it out with various examples I have seen .. that will be another day.

The next thing I need to figure out is how to get pypmyadmin to function via ssh. Currently I have it tunneled on a specific port to the lo (127.0.0.X) but I have yet to figure out how to get it working properly via ssh. My ssh is a private key file for the moment btw & not registered. Webmin & PuTTY were easy to configure for ssh using a key file but phpmyadmin not so much (yet).

Thanks.

Beans

Ok good what I would do then is go ahead and mark this topic as Solved. and start a new one for SSH tunnel and phpmyadmin as this thread is for security.
    Good luck

Chad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast