Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Install LibreOffice 3.6.1 in 12.04.1?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Install LibreOffice 3.6.1 in 12.04.1?

I've read the latest LibreOffice incarnation does have native support for the global menu and it's currently available in 12.10 beta.

Is there any way I can install that version in 12.04.1?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Install LibreOffice 3.6.1 in 12.04.1?

Quote Originally Posted by AleveSicofante View Post
    I've read the latest LibreOffice incarnation does have native support for the global menu and it's currently available in 12.10 beta.

Is there any way I can install that version in 12.04.1?
    I installed it on my 12.04.1 install using this ppa

Beans

You can always find the latest Libreoffice, for any operating system, here: http://www.libreoffice.org/

However, a better way (in my opinion, because it will be added to your software sources and you'll get updates through your update manager) is to install it through a PPA as described here: https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa

Looking at this page I see that they do indeed have 3.6.1 packaged for 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Installing from the official download page is out of the question. It doesn't download a simple .deb, it downloads a thousand of them and there's a complex procedure to do the installation (I don't quite understand why, but that's how it is).

I'm using the PPA, but even when its webpage says the latest version is 3.6.1-rc2 (meaning NOT the final version anyway), I only get 3.6.02 via Synaptic.

@Somsun: can you please check in Help->About what's your installed version?
    Last edited by AleveSicofante; September 27th, 2012 at 05:50 PM.

Beans

Installing from the official download page is out of the question. It doesn't download a simple .deb, it downloads a thousand of them and there's a complex procedure to do the installation (I don't quite understand why, but that's how it is).
    In my opinion, you need to outgrow this "Windows way" of thinking. Linux is "open source" which means we always have the freedom to download and compile an application from its developers. Yes, this requires that you learn new software tools and commands, but it is so worth it in the long run, because it means you, the user, will have complete freedom and control over your system.

Now, that being said, I agree the PPA method is easier, which is why I recommended it for you. If you check the link I posted above, you can see for yourself that the latest for Precise is 1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu3~precise1 uploaded Sept. 3rd. You can also check this on your computer with:

Code:
    apt-cache policy libreoffice
    This command will show you which version you have installed, compared with the version(s) available in your repos.

Beans
    Distro

I'm using the PPA, but even when its webpage says the latest version is 3.6.1-rc2 (meaning NOT the final version anyway), I only get 3.6.02 via Synaptic.

@Somsun: can you please check in Help->About what's your installed version?
    I also have 3.6.02. It's the most updated version I've found. I thought it had the default app menu, but you still might need to install "libreoffice-gtk3", because I have that installed too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not turning this into a discussion of how good or bad open source vs windows is, etc., etc., etc. I said installing from the download page is out of the question for good reasons, so please don't insist. (Compiling is like lightyears away out of the question).

Here's the output of the command you suggested:

Code:
    aleve@MacBook:~$ apt-cache policy libreoffice
    libreoffice:
      Instalados: (ninguno)
      Candidato:  1:3.6.0~rc4-0ubuntu3~ppa1~precise1
      Tabla de versión:
         1:3.6.0~rc4-0ubuntu3~ppa1~precise1 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages
         1:3.5.4-0ubuntu1.1 0
            500 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main i386 Packages
            500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security/main i386 Packages
         1:3.5.2-2ubuntu1 0
            500 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages
    aleve@MacBook:~$
    I'm in Spain, hence the es.archive.ubuntu.com and the Spanish language output.

I'm running Ubuntu on a MacbookPro1,1 (that's 32 bits only, just in case this means something).

Latest kernel update (3.2.0-31-generic-pae) doesn't boot, so I'm booting from 3.2.0-29-generic-pae.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    In my opinion, you need to outgrow this "Windows way" of thinking. Linux is "open source" which means we always have the freedom to download and compile an application from its developers. Yes, this requires that you learn new software tools and commands, but it is so worth it in the long run, because it means you, the user, will have complete freedom and control over your system.

Now, that being said, I agree the PPA method is easier, which is why I recommended it for you. If you check the link I posted above, you can see for yourself that the latest for Precise is 1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu3~precise1 uploaded Sept. 3rd. You can also check this on your computer with:

Code:
    apt-cache policy libreoffice
    This command will show you which version you have installed, compared with the version(s) available in your repos.
    1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu3~precise1 is listed as the latest version, but if you look, it says that libreoffice failed to build on AMD64. 64 bit users (like me) still only get 3.6.0-rc4

EDIT: It also appears that the i386 build was cancelled if you view the package details for libreoffice. That would explain 32 and 64 bit both having the problem.
    Last edited by Sonsum; September 27th, 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sonsum View Post
    1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu3~precise1 is listed as the latest version, but if you look, it says that libreoffice failed to build on AMD64. 64 bit users (like me) still only get 3.6.0-rc4
    Thanks for the clarification (I didn't read that far) so I guess that answers the OP's question.

Beans

I'm not turning this into a discussion of how good or bad open source vs windows is, etc., etc., etc. I said installing from the download page is out of the question for good reasons, so please don't insist. (Compiling is like lightyears away out of the question).
    Then you will have to wait for someone (PPA maintainers, perhaps?) to do it for you. Sorry but if you don't want to learn new skills, that's the best answer I can give you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast