Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which graphics card?

Beans

Re: Which graphics card?

Im running the nvidia geforce 9800gt. the linux nvidia app is pretty good. it gives me the functionality that i need for it (dual dvi and single s-video input). for windows it is a pretty good card even. can run games like borderlands on max. not sure how much it is retail, but i picked mine up from a friend for 20$ with a loud fan. a can of air fixed that up

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    The GT 640 won't be *that* much more powerful than your current card.
    +1

You would be wasting a 100 euros.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The GT 640 won't be *that* much more powerful than your current card. Also, with lower-end cards, the memory is pretty much irrelevant. I'd at least get a GTX 650. Better yet, see if you can find the GTX 650 Ti for a decent price.
    Thanks, duly noted!

Beans

I'm rolling with a gtx 550 Ti. I'm totally digging this card right now. once i get enough cash together im gonna invest in a new motherboard and rig 2 of em up via sli.

Beans
    Distro

The GT 640 won't be *that* much more powerful than your current card. Also, with lower-end cards, the memory is pretty much irrelevant. I'd at least get a GTX 650. Better yet, see if you can find the GTX 650 Ti for a decent price.
    And how about now that the R310 driver is available? It should double the performance of 600 series cards. It is also supposed to improve the performance of other cards, but not as much.

Beans
    Distro

If you're not willing to replace the power supply then I'd wait longer and save up until you can get exactly what you want- what's the point in spending 100 euros and then realizing you were looking for something faster?
    Well, last weekend I finally had both the money and the time (especially the latter was the limiting factor) to go out and buy and install a new card. I bought a MSI GTX 650Ti Power Edition, for €129.
    The cooler on that thing is HUGE!
    According to this site: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp
    a 350 Watt PSU would just do, but I wanted to be sure, so also got a Corsair CX 500W PSU.

It's all running fine now, thanks all for your input here.

Beans

Cool, took you some time though

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Cool, took you some time though
    All work and no play

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234