Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    22

    Re: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

    I have made backup of the whole HDD with acronis

    now I have another big problem

    I deleted all the partitions and made new partitions
    Unfortunately there was a hidden partition that was deleted too
    When I reboot I try to go to the bios and I discover there is NO option to boot from usb
    only boot from the hdd but the HDD is all formated now
    Big trouble ....

    Any help or suggestions ?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,990

    Re: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

    Try this,

    1. Boot PC and go into BIOS, think it's F2?
    2. Go to "Boot" and disable the "Boot Booster".
    3. Save settings and exit.
    4. At reboot try and select the boot manager and boot from plugged in usb stick.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    22

    Re: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Try this,

    1. Boot PC and go into BIOS, think it's F2?
    2. Go to "Boot" and disable the "Boot Booster".
    3. Save settings and exit.
    4. At reboot try and select the boot manager and boot from plugged in usb stick.
    I have read this trick.
    but unfortunately there is no "boot booster" in the bios of the Asus 1225c
    perhaps this is the case with their newest models right now ?
    no luck.. and I thik it is a bad thing from Asus
    I really can't believe it !
    and I didn't noticed there is no option to boot from usb in the bios menu
    I guess the usb stuffs are in the hidden partition wiped away by me ...
    So I have a hdd with no system on it and a bios which only have the boot option to boot on the hdd

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,990

    Re: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

    Quote Originally Posted by cp2819 View Post
    I have read this trick.
    but unfortunately there is no "boot booster" in the bios of the Asus 1225c
    perhaps this is the case with their newest models right now ?
    no luck.. and I thik it is a bad thing from Asus
    I really can't believe it !
    and I didn't noticed there is no option to boot from usb in the bios menu
    I guess the usb stuffs are in the hidden partition wiped away by me ...
    So I have a hdd with no system on it and a bios which only have the boot option to boot on the hdd
    Is there no boot manager selection on bootup? I know on my pc I can select hard drive and then it will list the sub items which includes usb devices.

    Did you try a different USB port as I see that netbook also has usb3 ports. You have to use a usb2 port on the right side to boot from.
    Last edited by mips; September 29th, 2012 at 12:25 AM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    22

    Re: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

    @ mips

    Finally I succeded to boot on the right usb port only and had to flash the bios to get the usb selection came up. Thanks for your help.

    I finished installing win7, then ubuntu 12.04 and I made grub configuration for a dual boot for now.

    I took out the memtest option, and disabled the os-prober
    because I don't want it to autodetect each time
    I prefer configuring manually and add what I want to the grub menu

    Finally, I change the grub splash screen
    and change also the grub font colors

    I tested all the menu options
    Everything works great

    Next step is installing Debian and add it to the menu



    Last edited by cp2819; October 2nd, 2012 at 04:14 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Michigan USA
    Beans
    1,746
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

    I have tons of apps installed and several desktops ubuntu, Xubuntu, etc and am using less than half of my 20GB / partition

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,990

    Re: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

    Quote Originally Posted by cp2819 View Post
    @ mips

    Finally I succeded to boot on the right usb port only and had to flash the bios to get the usb selection came up. Thanks for your help.

    Finally, I change the grub splash screen
    and change also the grub font colors
    Glad to see you came right

    I like the grub splash screen with the old apple logo, got a link for it?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    22

    Re: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post

    I like the grub splash screen with the old apple logo, got a link for it?

    of course
    here you go

    http://imageshack.us/a/img853/1963/cuir640.jpg

    enjoy
    Last edited by cp2819; September 30th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,990

    Re: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

    thx!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Planet earth, for now.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Step by step learning to format everything and re-install from scratch

    @ cp2819: Just for future reference; from the Code of Conduct:
    Images: Be prudent in your use of images; they may help to explain something more clearly or indicate a problem you are experiencing better but you have to remember that not everyone has the same bandwidth. If an image is the best way of handling the information, please use thumbnails or keep your image to a small size and less than 100kb.
    You can also attach them using the paperclip icon in 'Go Advanced'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •