Thread: On choosing the right bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On choosing the right bug.

As I shift through the bug opportunities at harvest.ubuntu.com, I lack the judgment to kick off bug-fixing with the right bite-sized bug. There are just too many choices,

For a starter, how can one determine what bug to try?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: On choosing the right bug.

Pick one that looks easy to fix to you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I sympathize with you. I would not know where to start either.

Did you find any tutorials? Are you experienced in programming? Did you have to join a Ubuntu team?

I too might be interested in doing something like this, if I knew what to do.

I agree with cariboo907 about starting off with something small. What would interest you?

Looking through those opportunities, which are all based upon actual bug reports, I see just how trivial some of the bug reports are.

I saw one relating to 10.04 where the person complained that the label "Remember currently running application" should be changed to "Remember currently running applications." I would mark that as irrelevant

Perhaps you could look for things like that. Things that are so small as to be not worth the effort or are now passed the date when effort should be spent on them, or have been made obsolete by changes to newer versions of Ubuntu.

Personally, I would not classify what people want or wish for in Ubuntu as a bug. I would have a very tight definition of what can be reported as a bug. But then who listens to me.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 12th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Sorry for the belated response.
    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Did you find any tutorials? Are you experienced in programming? Did you have to join a Ubuntu team? I too might be interested in doing something like this, if I knew what to do.
    The useful tutorials are sitting on the wikis. I've read through Fixing a Bug on the Ubuntu packaging guide, but I don't know if that's enough. If you mean experience in programming as in having worked with code or making software, I have none. I joined the papercutters team, but don't know if that is useful.

I agree with cariboo907 about starting off with something small. What would interest you?
    To do some packaging work, report bugs (maybe even fix them if I can), and develop applications for Ubuntu. Yeah, I aim for a breadth of experience.

Looking through those opportunities, which are all based upon actual bug reports, I see just how trivial some of the bug reports are. I saw one relating to 10.04 where the person complained that the label "Remember currently running application" should be changed to "Remember currently running applications." I would mark that as irrelevant

Perhaps you could look for things like that. Things that are so small as to be not worth the effort or are now passed the date when effort should be spent on them, or have been made obsolete by changes to newer versions of Ubuntu.
    Hahaha, interesting. You mean, to improve bug reports? That sounds manageable.

I think it'll be great to hang out more in the IRCs and ask the experts. There's lots to ask and learn.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, fixing typos is a great way to start.