Thread: Inspiron 17R 5720 - Which distro to use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Inspiron 17R 5720 - Which distro to use?

I bought a Dell Inspiron 17R 5720 today. It came with Ubuntu 11.10 preinstalled. I tried it out, but it's something terrible. First of all, it's pure Unity without gnome 2 or even gnome 3 (only Unity/Unity 2D). I was unable to find synaptic, but somehow opened a terminal and tried to install ubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop, but first is installed already and second is not found. I could've installed Ubuntu 10.04 on it (I use it on my desktop), but probably not all hardware will work properly. So I wonder if I should keep it (somehow install gnome 2, perhaps?) or move to another distro. Currently, I'm considering Mint 13 with MATE. Any advices?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Inspiron 17R 5720 - Which distro to use?

If you want synaptic

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    should do it.

I would recommend gnome-shell or gnome-session-fallback (which is pretty much gnome classic) on 12.04. In my opinion, gnome-session-fallback is a very good gnome 2 replacement. It really doesn't change that much.

These two can be installed from synaptic, or with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session-fallback
    Once they're installed, you can select which one to use from the login screen.

Beans
    Distro

Well, that worked. But gnome classic looks awful, nothing like gnome 2. However, I managed to install xfce (i forgot to do apt-get update, so it didn't find it at first ).
    Last edited by NilPointer; October 15th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I've installed Linux Mint 13 but just like I thought, not all devices are working and there is no proprietary drivers available (while on preinstalled Ubuntu 11.10 there were 4). So, is there a PPA with Dell drivers?