Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04.1 CDs will not run

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04.1 CDs will not run

Quote Originally Posted by ladasky View Post
    Hi jmore9,

I am running low on CD-Rs myself, but I have many DVD-Rs. I have been wondering what I will do when I finally exhaust my CD-R supply. Can you burn a CD image to a DVD and get it to boot? Well, maybe that's an issue for another day, especially since there's a DVD image of 12.04.1, which I am now downloading (here's the link to the rather obscure page where it is hosted).

One question: does the DVD image include the "alternate install" features as well? The page doesn't say. I have to install to my RAID. As I documented in my first post, the alternate install CD didn't work for me.
    Yes, you can burn the cd ISO to a DVD, just use very, very low speed, like 4x or even 2x. It makes it more resistant to errors during burning.

As far as I know the DVD image doesn't include the alternate installer. It just includes more packages that don't fit on the CD image, like manu language files, etc.

You can still install RAID with the desktop installer, only the alternate is recommended. Depending on the raid type (fakeraid or software), the steps are slightly different.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Just burned the 12.04.1 AMD x86_64 DVD, and tried booting from it.

The language popup menu appears, and then -- I have no keyboard control. Exactly like the CD.

Everything is still fine with 11.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

12.04 is different than 11.10. There are MANY old posts about the blinking cursor on black screen when you boot with nvidia graphics (I experienced that too). For 12.04 install, you need to use nomodeset kernel boot option. You no longer need that for the installed system once nvidia drivers are installed (which should happen automatically during install)

But, I cannot answer any questions about RAID.

I did have one laptop from 2006 (integrated Intel graphics) that for some reason would hang indefinitely (hours) without any errors 90% into installing 12.04 files with the regular install iso on USB. But the alternate install iso worked from USB and installed system works fine. I use 64-bit on everything including 2 GB tablet PC booted from SDHC card.

Other than that I have had no problems with 12.04. But I may hold off trying 12.10 (or install it where it can be tested first, like a USB drive), since many people seem to be having issues.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 750 Ti, 32" 1080p | i7-4700MQ, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M, 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    12.04 is different than 11.10. There are MANY old posts about the blinking cursor on black screen when you boot with nvidia graphics (I experienced that too). For 12.04 install, you need to use nomodeset kernel boot option.
    I know about nomodeset, as you will see from my original post. I needed nomodeset to run 11.10. However, I never get the opportunity to choose the nomodeset boot option when I try to boot from the 12.04.1 x86_64 CD, or the DVD -- because my keyboard is locking up. It's the very same keyboard that I'm using right now to type this message, from 11.10. I'm baffled by that.

I am getting the boot menu screen, and the language menu overlay. My screen isn't black. I can even see the 30-second menu timer counting down behind the language menu. The computer hasn't crashed.

But, I cannot answer any questions about RAID.
    I would be happy to see 12.04.1 64-bit boot in live mode at this time. I'll worry about my RAID after that. One step at a time.

I did have one laptop from 2006 (integrated Intel graphics) that for some reason would hang indefinitely (hours) without any errors 90% into installing 12.04 files with the regular install iso on USB.
    That pretty well describes the symptom that I saw when tried to install 12.04 (not 12.04.1) on this same system -- 2009 motherboard, AMD CPU, NVidia graphics card (full specs in post #1 of this thread). The system hung for minutes to HOURS on the commands grub-install and update-grub. I didn't get any errors, either. And the hard disk thrashed the whole time.

But the alternate install iso worked from USB and installed system works fine. I use 64-bit on everything including 2 GB tablet PC booted from SDHC card.
    I've never tried making a bootable USB before. Why it should behave any differently than booting from the same image burned to a CD or a DVD, I can't fathom. But if you can see a reason why it might make a difference, I'm willing to try.
    Last edited by ladasky; October 22nd, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

If I could mark this thread "half-solved," I would. I still do not have 12.04.1 installed, but I have discovered what my keyboard problem was.

Many of you probably are not using a PS/2 port any more. I am. I have an ergonomic keyboard that I bought ten years ago, and as long as it still works, I see no reason to replace it.

Most motherboards still have two PS/2 connectors on the back. One is designated for a PS/2 keyboard, the other for a mouse. Some time in the not-too-distant past, I unplugged my keyboard from the motherboard -- and then I plugged it back into the MOUSE connector.

Here's the funny thing. Linux anticipates this possibility. Once your system is fully booted, it will find a keyboard which was accidentally plugged into the mouse connector. However: EARLY stages of a boot or installation process (including BIOS) can only find a keyboard which is plugged in where it belongs. This explains my inability to use my keyboard to make the initial menu selections on the install disks. To prevent this subtle problem from ever happening again, I've taped over my PS/2 mouse port.

At last, I have been able to select nomodeset, and boot the 12.04.1 live CD. That's progress!

Unfortunately, I need to install to my RAID. And, as I reported earlier, the 12.04.1 alternate install CD is hanging for me at the grub-install step. The hard drives thrash away, but nothing seems to happen. Eventually (after over 15 minutes), I give up and reboot.

From the Live CD, I am able to sudo apt-get mdadm, and then build all of my RAID1 partitions. So, darkod, are you still out there?

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    You can still install RAID with the desktop installer, only the alternate is recommended. Depending on the raid type (fakeraid or software), the steps are slightly different.
    If you (or anyone else) can tell me how I can install to RAID from the standard CD, I would appreciate it. Do I just start the standard install process after building my RAID? I could do that now. I don't know whether the standard CD installation will get around the mysterious hangup I'm experiencing at the grub-install step, but it's worth a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12