Thread: no more flash video's in chromium

Hybrid View

Beans

no more flash video's in chromium

Hi all,
    I really found the best OS on my 7 year old dell laptop: xubuntu. Installed it with the 12.04 release. Great in every way: cool, fast and all the features I need! I was about to never upgrade my oldie to a new version anymore.

But an update a couple of weeks ago destroyed my happiness: Chrome(ium) can't play video's anymore. Crash report.

Firefox, Opera and Konqueror can, but I miss Chromium as a browser, because it simply is the best browser for me and my internet desires.

I found a lot of solutions for this subjectm, but none of them worked for me. I think about reinstalling xubuntu 12.04, but am not sure this will fix the problem since it works with the latest updates. Any suggestions?

Greats
    Placo

Beans

Re: no more flash video's in chromium

Quote Originally Posted by placo View Post
    I found a lot of solutions for this subject... Any suggestions?
    Would depend on you telling us what you already tried and what didn't work so that people know not to suggest what hasn't worked for you.

Beans

I understand, but I have not listed my attempts to make it work again. I was hoping for a good way out of this bug. I've understood that chrome uses a different way of handeling flash content. It's just that I'm very disappointed that an update creates this error. In the past I had more time and motivation to work on bugs. I've been an ubuntu-user for seven years, without dual boot with windows, and in general have all basics working just fine. I consider flash as a basic feature. This should work on any computer without demanding it-efforts from me.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I don't think this is really an Ubuntu or even Linux issue:

"Adobe already removed the Flash Beta page and Linux is not included in the Adobe Flash Player Incubator page. Furthermore, Adobe is refusing to address Linux bugs reports, stating Linux is no longer supported."
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...49&postcount=2
    An old posting, but seems to be the trend.

Since HTML5 is the future of internet video, it looks like Adobe is saving money by dropping support for Flash. YouTube does have HTML5 videos, I've heard.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm currently using gnash. I know. It doesn't play everything, but it handles most things just fine.