Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to upgrade to 12.04.1 LTS, but should I?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Looking to upgrade to 12.04.1 LTS, but should I?

I tried Lubuntu and I'm having the same problem. It doesn't boot the live cd, just boots up to Ubuntu.

Now could I install Lubuntu or Xubuntu 10.04 and then upgrade from there?

Beans
    Distro

I think I might just go along with the Ubuntu upgrade rather than do this. I was easily able to upgrade to 10.04 from 8.04, so I might just jump to it. I'll just have to get rid of the dock and whatever else would be a memory hog. I know I'll get rid of most of the stuff on the menu bars as those I would imagine be memory hogs as well.

Beans
    Distro

So it was weird, during the upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04.1 it asked me to insert Xubuntu 12.04.1 into the disk drive. What could that mean?

Anyways I halted the upgrade and I'll do the rest of it tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Crazy K, you need to boot from the CD that you burned; it's no good just putting the disk in while Ubuntu is running. Your computer manual will tell you how to achieve that.

Your CD looks as though it has been correctly burned.

1. Did you check the MD5 Sum of the downloaded ISO before burning it? (If not, do so now.)
    2. Did you follow the method on the Ubuntu download page to burn the CD (see the links on the right side of that page)?

I would not try to upgrade Ubuntu to 12.04 on your machine. You may find that it runs ridiculously slowly — or not at all. Rather back up and then install Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

You'll need to figure out how to get your CD working first, or you can try booting from a USB instead (instructions also on the Ubuntu download page).
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What Paddy says above seems correct to me, too. Are you actually booting from the CD that you burned, or are you just inserting it while Ubuntu is already running? From everything you've described, the latter seems to be what's happening.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro

I booted it everytime with the disk in the drive. I just left it in when it got to the desktop.

The first time I used Brasero I did two copies of Xubuntu, both didn't work. So I decided to try Lubuntu but with K3b and that did the md5 sum for me automatically. That too didn't boot up either.

What I'm saying, is that it wont boot the live CD at startup.

And like I said above, I was able to get into CMOS and change the boot options, but I don't even know if that's the right area.
    Last edited by Crazy K; September 28th, 2012 at 08:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jmore9 View Post
    I just finsihed doing a dist upgrade to 12.10 from 12.04 and all went reasonably well. Only problem is Medibuntu repos are not avaiable for 12.10 yet as far as i can figure out.

And only have 1 problem with Nvidia driver as i cannot change the display to 1024 x 768 i get some kind of sual monitor error when i only have one.

But all in all went very well.
    I'm just trying to install Xubuntu, but I can't even get the CD to load up at the boot process. This doesn't really help me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy K View Post
    I booted it everytime with the disk in the drive. I just left it in when it got to the desktop.

The first time I used Brasero I did two copies of Xubuntu, both didn't work. So I decided to try Lubuntu but with K3b and that did the md5 sum for me automatically. That too didn't boot up either.

What I'm saying, is that it wont boot the live CD at startup.

And like I said above, I was able to get into CMOS and change the boot options, but I don't even know if that's the right area.
    When you burned the CD using Brasero, did you select the "Burn Image" option to burn the CD?
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jrog View Post
    When you burned the CD using Brasero, did you select the "Burn Image" option to burn the CD?
    The first time I did not, I believe I went with Data CD, the second time I did burn image.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The first time I did not, I believe I went with Data CD, the second time I did burn image.
    The data CD won't work. The second time should have worked.

In post #19, you said:
    I changed the boot options to CDROM first and then HDD and at boot it says there's no disc or nothing to boot from that.
    I rather suspect that your computer is not even looking at the CD when booting.

• Double-check that your changes to the BIOS were saved.
    • Can you try your CD in someone else's computer (don't install; just try booting from the CD)?
    • When you boot your computer, you may find that you can press F2, F10, F12, Del or some other key to get to a boot menu — your computer's manual should tell you if that is possible.

… with K3b and that did the md5 sum for me automatically.
    K3B only checks that the CD-writing was correct. It does not check that the downloaded ISO is correct. You need to follow the instructions to check the MD5 sum of the downloaded ISO; you can find the MD5 sums (Ubuntu Hashes) from that page. Please do it now before you do anything else, as an incorrect download will sabotage everything else (it has happened to me before).
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast