Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to upgrade to 12.04.1 LTS, but should I?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Looking to upgrade to 12.04.1 LTS, but should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    The data CD won't work. The second time should have worked.

In post #19, you said:

I rather suspect that your computer is not even looking at the CD when booting.

• Double-check that your changes to the BIOS were saved.
    • Can you try your CD in someone else's computer (don't install; just try booting from the CD)?
    • When you boot your computer, you may find that you can press F2, F10, F12, Del or some other key to get to a boot menu — your computer's manual should tell you if that is possible.

K3B only checks that the CD-writing was correct. It does not check that the downloaded ISO is correct. You need to follow the instructions to check the MD5 sum of the downloaded ISO; you can find the MD5 sums (Ubuntu Hashes) from that page. Please do it now before you do anything else, as an incorrect download will sabotage everything else (it has happened to me before).
    I restarted it a couple times and checked to see that it was what I had put it on.

I don't have a computer manual for this as I got it from a friend for $50 many years ago. It says to hit del to go into a menu right at startup, and that brought me to what I previously mentioned. Then after that, it says something along the lines of to go to menu hit F2 I believe. And it has a 2 second countdown and no matter what I do it doesn't bring me into this other menu or setup or whatever.

I'll see if the discs work in my sister's PC tomorrow, and I'll update you.

Now how would I check to see the MD5sum for the disc when it's already made?

Beans
    Distro

I think it was the md5sum causing the problems. I checked and for the Xubuntu download I just did it came up with this:

Code:
    acb6bd5412fcefc5082cb98cb039de10
    When it's supposed to be this:
    Code:
    52fddd81e75bb421a5435a42ca9ec6df
    Now what do I do now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy K View Post
    I think it was the md5sum causing the problems. I checked and for the Xubuntu download I just did it came up with this:

Code:
    acb6bd5412fcefc5082cb98cb039de10
    When it's supposed to be this:
    Code:
    52fddd81e75bb421a5435a42ca9ec6df
    Now what do I do now?
    Your first hash is the right one, according to the site here, at least if you downloaded 12.04.1: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re...elease/MD5SUMS

The hash you're saying it's supposed to be is for 12.04 (not 12.04.1). Which one did you download?
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro

I wish I knew that beforehand. I went with the site that was showed to me. I thought it would of been just 12.04. Oh well, I re-downloaded the ISO, so I hope it's the same again.

Yup, it's right. Going to make yet another DVD with this and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yup, it's right. Going to make yet another DVD with this and see what happens.
    If yours is a very old computer, perhaps it is unable to boot from a DVD? Try burning to a CD instead.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah I'll see if I can get some CDs soon. I know I used CDs for the installs before. I'd like to get Xubuntu on here though, just so I can have a faster PC. I doubt it'll be too much faster, but whatever frees up some RAM usage, I'm all for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd like to get Xubuntu on here though, just so I can have a faster PC. I doubt it'll be too much faster, but whatever frees up some RAM usage, I'm all for.
    You'll find Xubuntu quite a bit faster than Ubuntu (12.04 needs at least 1Gb RAM), and Lubuntu faster still. I use Lubuntu on old computers to great effect. If that is still too slow, try Bodhi, which should blaze on your computer.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro

I tried a CD instead, same problem. It doesn't boot up the live CD. Any idea on how I could do this? I burned it correctly, but yet nothing. I got 4 more CDs so I'll see what I can do. I might check out Bodhi, but will I be able to install Ubuntu programs or no?

Oh and the GRUB menu at loadup is the thing I can't get into. I have to press ESC to get to it, but only a 2 second window, and even if I click it, nothing happens.

Beans
    Distro

Yes I got it. I tested Xubuntu, Lubuntu and now I'm posting this message from Bodhi. I'm really digging Bodhi right now because it's so fast. I might end up installing it. But I need to know if I can download Ubuntu programs on here. I know on their site they mention Ubuntu.

But yeah, if I can get rythmbox, MTP-lastfm, and some other programs, than I'm good.

Beans
    Distro

I think I might go with Lubuntu, just because I know that everything that works with Ubuntu will work with this, plus it just looks much better than Xubuntu. Bodhi is quite nice too, and fast, and I might just go with that yet, we'll see. I just want to make sure everything I want to use works on each OS.

Oh and by the way, I was able to boot the live CD by holding ESC right near the part where you click Delete to get into BIOS, which brought me through some prompt thing, I then let it go from there. That's how it works for me at least.
    Last edited by Crazy K; October 3rd, 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast