Thread: does zeitgeist track web sites visited?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question does zeitgeist track web sites visited?

does zeitgeist track web sites visited? the documentation says that it does, but I can't see if it does where it reports it. If I look in the "activituy journal" all I see is the locally viewed files not websites. And if it is tracking them, what does it acutally track? does it track what I type like passwords and such?

Thanks for any and all info

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: does zeitgeist track web sites visited?

it does track this and that and stores its knowledge local. It not supposed to report it anywhere by itself. It record the use of browser as whole etc, so you may not find single websites logged as text entries somewhere.

There are some thoughts however about zeitgeist, as when something stores diffuse knowledge about the users behavior, it makes it more simple for potential malware to grab this data and make some use of it.

This is why many people try to restrict the zeitgeist operation as much as possible. Unfortunately we are no more able to simply uninstall it, as this will break for example unity desktop too much.

I am one of those who hate zeitgeist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I uninstalled it because it would thrash my disk for three minutes after booting up and make the system unusable.

And that's ignoring the fact that logging every single thing you do is an insane idea from a security standpoint.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    it does track this and that and stores its knowledge local. It not supposed to report it anywhere by itself. It record the use of browser as whole etc, so you may not find single websites logged as text entries somewhere.

There are some thoughts however about zeitgeist, as when something stores diffuse knowledge about the users behavior, it makes it more simple for potential malware to grab this data and make some use of it.

This is why many people try to restrict the zeitgeist operation as much as possible. Unfortunately we are no more able to simply uninstall it, as this will break for example unity desktop too much.

I am one of those who hate zeitgeist.
    So if I understand you correctly it is recording that I the browser, but not which websites I goto, is that correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can set what zeitgeist logs, by going to System Settings->Privacy, see the screenshots
    Attached Images Attached Images