Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have Ubuntu on Lenovo G780?

Beans

Does anyone have Ubuntu on Lenovo G780?

I've notice this 17 inch laptop which looks interesting, I've been considering a big laptop and this one has Intel graphics so a least there are no Optimus problems.

Beans

Re: Does anyone have Ubuntu on Lenovo G780?

I know this doesn't help much but I have a G570 15 inch and it works great

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Same here. G570 works fine with 12.04 - except for the onboard microphone, but that's no big deal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Meant to say that Lenovo's are known to be linux friendly - that's why I opted for one.

Beans

thanx, my worry now is the wireless.

It's only written for the G780 "Lenovo BGN wireless".

That's not telling me much, from what I know often for laptop companies they often do not manufacture their own wireless device.

Do you know if there's a way to find out which wireless is it and if I should worry about it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is probably all right. The datasheet for the G570 says just "802.11bg/bgn WiFi", but lspci returns "Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter". Though there is always a risk, there have been no wifi issues with the G570 - wireless works straight away with 12.04 (and Debian Squeeze).

The only way to be absolutely sure is to boot up the laptop you are keen on in a store with an Ubuntu live USB stick and then do lspci in a terminal. This will tell you what all the controllers are.

Beans

I have g780 and Kubuntu 12.04. What is your question?

Wireless is just fine, however when you install kernel out of the repository you will need to re-install wifi, so prepare with downloading the driver.

Cable LAN will not work, neither I could make the nVidia 630M to work. But the main advantage of this laptop is the BIOS setup, where you can disable dedicated graphics.
    Last edited by kurru; September 27th, 2012 at 09:36 PM.

Beans

lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8162 Fast Ethernet (rev 08)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Out of curiosity, besides this one, how many threads like this do you need at one time?

Lenovo BGN Wireless, ubuntu friendly?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2063080

Which to buy? Inspiron 17R or Latitude E5530?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2057402

Dell Latitude or Lenovo Thinkpad?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2062675

Buying laptop, wireless device model vs chipset

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2057395

I've participated in a couple of them, but I'm a little confused with where all this is going, so, I think I'm done.

Good luck!

Beans

Yep sorry about that.
    Usually when I open one thread with many questions people tell me to split it to more than one thread then that's what I did.

I changed my open a couple of times as well that's why there are so many threads.

anyway kurru thank you a lot for the info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast