Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good VPN for Ubuntu?

Beans

Good VPN for Ubuntu?

Hey, I am relatively new to Linux but I know how to work Terminal. I used to run Mac OSX and Windows and I used to use a VPN service called Spotflux. I am currently trying to find another VPN. SecurityKiss works but is dreadfully slow and is limited to 300mb/day (which I can easily go over). FreeCanadaVPN also works but only on very select networks and not on the network that I am on the most. I also used Hotspot shield until it mysteriously stopped working on my main networks. Any good VPNs out there?

(I do know how to setup PPTP VPNs)

(I have OpenVPN installed but I have no clue of how to work it...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Good VPN for Ubuntu?

OpenVPN would be the way to go. But are you sure you need a VPN at all? What are you trying to use it for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I use WiTopia personal VPN Pro: http://www.witopia.net. There are over 50 VPN gateways in North America, Europe, Asia, South America. It supports OpenVPN, CISCO IPSec, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP. It costs $72 USD annually. There are no limitations or monitoring or recording of your activities. LifeHacker did a review of the top 5 VPN service providers and they awarded WiTopia as the best. Do a Google search.

Beans

I think that Ipredator is probably one of the best. Costs 15 Euros for 3 months and even gives you a trial that lasts 3 days...

Works on windows, mac, linux, iphone, android...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    I use WiTopia personal VPN Pro: http://www.witopia.net. There are over 50 VPN gateways in North America, Europe, Asia, South America. It supports OpenVPN, CISCO IPSec, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP. It costs $72 USD annually. There are no limitations or monitoring or recording of your activities. LifeHacker did a review of the top 5 VPN service providers and they awarded WiTopia as the best. Do a Google search.
    +1 for WiTopia.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    I also recommend WiTopia. The service is affordable, price accordingly and was extremely reliable when I used it. They also support VPN connections all over the globe, and are one of the few services which also allow you to use AES-256.

I used the service for a year, and I was really satisfied with the service. I never had to use customer support, but I have heard from others that it is good as well.

Also, if you're using Network Manager, just get the OpenVPN plugin for it. It will then let you use Network Manager to connect to the VPN with ease.

The best part of WiTopia is their money back guarantee within 30 days. I actually tested this just to test it, and they refunded me on day 29 without any questions asked. The following day I had my refund, and then proceeded to renew for a full year. This is one of the very few VPN companies that I place any trust in at all.

Beans
    Distro

Whatever you choose to go with, don't use PPTP:

http://www.h-online.com/security/fea...P-1716768.html

Beans
    Distro

There are a couple of important bits of information that you need to know about WiTopia.

WiTopia offers two types of VPN service accounts for personal usage:

1. WiTopia personal VPN basic
    2. WiTopia personal VPN PRO

Basically, PRO gives you access to OpenVPN protocol and you need to download and install your WiTopia SSL certificates in order to use OpenVPN. It requires that you renew your subscription annually to download new SSL certificates one month prior to the end of your first subscription. You can only subscribe to Personal VPN PRO on an annual basis for now. WiTopia does not offer multi-year subscriptions yet, but they are working on it. PRO gives you access to Blowfish CBC mode 256 bits 16 rounds SSL encryption and the most flexible options for connecting to WiTopia VPN gateways worldwide. You can even set your own custom OpenVPN ports if you have difficulty connecting to their OpenVPN gateways.

If you use Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, or 7 or Apple Macintosh OS X Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion, then you can download and install the WiTopia Personal VPN software application that handles all of the installation and configuration details for you including your VPN password and SSL certificates. If you choose to subscribe to the PRO account, then you can set your initial entry VPN gateway and you can set a different VPN exit gateway for enhanced privacy, safety, and security, but this only applies if you use Windows or OS X. You can not do this with GNU/Linux like Ubuntu to the best of my knowledge.

WiTopia does weekly maintenance on Saturday evenings from 6 PM - 7 PM. It only takes them about 10 - 15 minutes to do the maintenance. At this time, you will not be able to connect to WiTopia VPN gateways on Saturdays from 6 - 7 PM EST.

WiTopia does not limit your bandwidth and it does not monitor or restrict your activities so long as you abide by their contract. Basically, they know that you are an adult and they treat you like an adult. Don't do anything criminal on their networks though.

In my tests, WiTopia Personal VPN PRO is the best VPN service provider and I have tried just about almost all of the other VPN service providers that offer service and support for Ubuntu users as well. They offer the absolute fastest speeds and performance and you should not see any degradation of bandwidth if you connect to WiTopia personal VPN PRO.

Finally, WiTopia allows you to connect up to 2 devices to their VPN gateways simultaneously. This is important if you want two devices that connect to an ISP to WiTopia at the same time. To the best of my knowledge, they are the only ones that offer this unique service.

Go with WiTopia and get the personal VPN PRO service if possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shalviy View Post
    Hey, I am relatively new to Linux but I know how to work Terminal. I used to run Mac OSX and Windows and I used to use a VPN service called Spotflux. I am currently trying to find another VPN. SecurityKiss works but is dreadfully slow and is limited to 300mb/day (which I can easily go over). FreeCanadaVPN also works but only on very select networks and not on the network that I am on the most. I also used Hotspot shield until it mysteriously stopped working on my main networks. Any good VPNs out there?

(I do know how to setup PPTP VPNs)

(I have OpenVPN installed but I have no clue of how to work it...)

The only free vpn I found for linux so far is TrustConnect from Comodo. They give 10 GB free for each month.

What do you guys think about this one, is it good?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHatGuy View Post
    The only free vpn I found for linux so far is TrustConnect from Comodo. They give 10 GB free for each month.

What do you guys think about this one, is it good?
    Not free any more for 10 GB. Starts at 19.95 to 99.95 for unlimited.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast