Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good VPN for Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Good VPN for Ubuntu?

Sure is a lot of it about, Google says : About 26,700 results (0.44 seconds) for vpn UserID=free Password=1234

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would suggest that the user change all their passwords as soon as possible if they were using the service.
    PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Good VPN for Ubuntu?

I have been using Ubuntu on a dual boot machine for 4 months now. Why was I keeping Windows? Well only because I could not get StrongVPN pptp to work properly with Ubuntu. I tried repeatedly. I spoke to them, I upgraded to open vpn because they thought that would solve all the problems. It didn't. Open vpn would not even connect to their servers. In the end they blamed my connection and said I must take it up with my ISP. But it works with Windows I kept telling them. . . . . .

The last week I searched this forum for a solution (why didn't I look here before?). Some people seemed to suggest Witopia was good. So I tried it this morning. And within 15 minutes it was up and running with Ubuntu. No connection problems. No drop-outs. It just works.

Many thanks to you guys. Now what do I need Windows for?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This one works really good. $40 a year. No logging, lots of locations, works great on Ubuntu, OpenVPN. PrivateInternetAccess.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

Beans

If you use OpenVPN, I recommend installing OpenVPN integration in NetworkManager (The network icon in the upper right corner of the screen). I believe the package name is network-manager-openvpn.

However, be prepared to do some manual configuration in NetworkManager. The import functionality is incomplete.

I would not trust the free VPNs (or TOR for that matter). They tend to attract criminal activity.

WiTopia looks pretty good (although I have never personally used it). They claim they will let you connect at most two devices simultaneously to their network.

The VPN service that I can vouch for is Astrill. It is the same price as WiTopia, and it works with almost every platform I have encountered. There are many servers, and they don't throttle your bandwidth. You can use their own client (which supports Ubuntu), or set up OpenVPN (which they provide instructions for). The only limitation is that you can connect only one device at a time. (Again, that's why WiTopia caught my eye as I perused this thread.)

https://www.astrill.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KlipperKyle View Post
    If you use OpenVPN, I recommend installing OpenVPN integration in NetworkManager (The network icon in the upper right corner of the screen). I believe the package name is network-manager-openvpn.

However, be prepared to do some manual configuration in NetworkManager. The import functionality is incomplete.

I would not trust the free VPNs (or TOR for that matter). They tend to attract criminal activity.

WiTopia looks pretty good (although I have never personally used it). They claim they will let you connect at most two devices simultaneously to their network.

The VPN service that I can vouch for is Astrill. It is the same price as WiTopia, and it works with almost every platform I have encountered. There are many servers, and they don't throttle your bandwidth. You can use their own client (which supports Ubuntu), or set up OpenVPN (which they provide instructions for). The only limitation is that you can connect only one device at a time. (Again, that's why WiTopia caught my eye as I perused this thread.)

https://www.astrill.com/
    I can understand avoiding free VPNs, but Tor? Tor can be trusted far more than any VPN can, because you don't have to place absolute trust in any one node, whereas with a VPN you do. As for "attracting" criminal activity, first of all, how does it affect you? Criminals use it because it's secure (they also use VPNs), so why go for something less secure? Either way using encryption gets you on the secret FBI watch list (look it up), regardeless of whether it's a VPN or Tor. Second of all, Tor does a lot more good than it does bad, and it helps out the "good" guys just as much as the "bad" guys, simply by being secure. Of course, Tor is slow, and doesn't support UDP traffic, so no torrents, etc. Tor is good for browsing when you need very strong protection, but it is not a good replacement for a full VPN.

I would avoid WiTopia, it's privacy policy, tos, and copyright policy are a disastor. Basically they're saying "We'll protect you, unless someone asks us to identify you in which case we'll give all your personal info away!". And with the whole PRISM thing I'd be extra cautious.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have an account to cyberghostvpn and their openvpn settings works perfect with ubuntu
    Give them a try, they offer free 1GB per month traffic
    WordPress Greece | Sign up for @copy with this link, and we'll both get 5 GB of free cloud storage in addition to the usual 15 GB: https://copy.com?r=LkAsvd
    <?php adopt or die ?>

Beans
    Hidden!

What do you guys think about https://www.vpnbook.com/ ?
    It sounds good to me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by perlon View Post
    What do you guys think about https://www.vpnbook.com/ ?
    It sounds good to me.
    I would avoid free VPNs if I were you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shalviy View Post
    Hey, I am relatively new to Linux but I know how to work Terminal. I used to run Mac OSX and Windows and I used to use a VPN service called Spotflux. I am currently trying to find another VPN. SecurityKiss works but is dreadfully slow and is limited to 300mb/day (which I can easily go over). FreeCanadaVPN also works but only on very select networks and not on the network that I am on the most. I also used Hotspot shield until it mysteriously stopped working on my main networks. Any good VPNs out there?

(I do know how to setup PPTP VPNs)

(I have OpenVPN installed but I have no clue of how to work it...)
    Try expressvpn.biz. It works well on Linux. It's fast too and has really good security.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234