Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows remote desktop to XRDP - logs in ok but no functionality

Beans

Windows remote desktop to XRDP - logs in ok but no functionality

I apologise for being a complete Ubuntu N00B ..... I know enough about Linux and Ubuntu to be dangerous and that's about it.

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and can connect to my PC remotely from my netbook yet the screen that I see after I've logged in has none of the top bar or sidebar and only a basic window with File Edit etc..

This doesn't allow me to do anything such as checking for runaway process that is stopping my XBMC application from responding on the main PC.

The netbook is running Windows 7 and I'm using remote desktop to connect to the Linux PC with the Linux PC using XRDP. Currently set to sesman-Xvnc. I've tried all the other options and they don't help at all.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Duncan

Beans

Re: Windows remote desktop to XRDP - logs in ok but no functionality

I have the same problem.

I did a clean install of Ubuntu 11.10 and

sudo apt-get install xrdp

which worked.

Connect/logon is OK but I get a blank screen.

Beans

Same issue here as well. Allows me to log in but all I see id the background. No menus, no icon's no launcher, nothing. Any one got any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markherring View Post
    Same issue here as well. Allows me to log in but all I see id the background. No menus, no icon's no launcher, nothing. Any one got any ideas?
    Same problem here. Clean install of 11.10 32bit.
    When I resize the RDP window to a smaller size I see a menu bar with some non-helping functionality. But no lauchner, etc.

Beans

Instructions for installing a newer version of XRDP are at http://scarygliders.net/2011/11/17/x...n-new-hotness/

I and several others have tested these and they result in a working XRDP with Ubuntu 11.10.

Beans

After some playing I know that it's something to do with the video capabilities/settings of the system that I'm logging into .....

With only the standard video driver applied to the Ubuntu system then everything shows up good.

As soon as I load the ATI Catalyst driver then I can see the Desktop background but not the sidebar or other items such as System Settings etc..

If I play with the different video options from remote desktop then I can end up with a grey/blank screen that some of the other posters have mentioned ....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

hey guys a quick search revealed.....

http://it.rawconcept.com/2011/10/24/...-11-10-update/

from bug 846407

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dp/+bug/846407

may be the ubuntu side, not sure, just trying to help.

Beans

I fixed it.

The issue is that the remote display (the Windows one) that I am connecting from cannot manage to display the Unity Desktop settings. It took an inordinate amount of time googling, reading and trying things to find it.

I created a .xsession in my home directory /home/duncan in my case.

sudo gedit .xsession

.... and then edited it to have:

gnome-session --session=ubuntu-2d

I then changed the permissions to make it executable

sudo chmod 755 .xsession

I can now remotely login and everything is good.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by duncang92 View Post
    I fixed it.

The issue is that the remote display (the Windows one) that I am connecting from cannot manage to display the Unity Desktop settings. It took an inordinate amount of time googling, reading and trying things to find it.

I created a .xsession in my home directory /home/duncan in my case.

sudo gedit .xsession

.... and then edited it to have:

gnome-session --session=ubuntu-2d

I then changed the permissions to make it executable

sudo chmod 755 .xsession

I can now remotely login and everything is good.
    duncang92 solution worked for me!
    I have seen this proposed elsewhere but the key was chmod 755 .xsession to make the session actually use the ubuntu-2d desktop.

After setting the desktop back to full color all of the taskbar icons showed up and look to be fully functional.

Thanks.

Beans

After getting the desktop up I quickly ran into the problem of typing "d" in any command window takes you directly to the desktop. This makes it impossible to do anything like cd directory.

AtesComp has the solution
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...19&postcount=8

Re: D key (alone) shows desktop over Xrdp
    Also being plagued by the inane and obtuse use of the "d" key via remote login, I troweled upon the black earth a little deeper.

Using "gconftool-2", I traveled down the structured tree to light upon the branch "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings" and found the "show_desktop" item. Lo, the value appears as "<Super>d". With apparent resolve, the poorly designed program is left bewildered as to the use of "<Super>" and randomly decide for itself to apparently ignore "<Super>" and select the "d" key. Unbeknownst to the astute end-user, the lowly "d" key has suddenly become his bane forevermore.

I protest! An error I say! I banish thee to the deepest pit of hell!
    Changing this does not one any good fortune, sudo or not!

To correct heinous error, edit the swine of a file "/var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml" and set the "show_desktop"s stringvalue to "Disabled" or whatever your humble preference. A trick upon this treat is to actually make entry of the word "Disabled" as it contains a "d". The astute reader shall quickly note the use of the "delete" key on "&lt;Super&gt", enter "isable", and use the existing "d". No longer shall each user need concern themselves with prior given solutions henceforth.

My given solution requires a logout/login.

Live well hence forth for all user logins thereafter. I fare thee anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast