Thread: Low graphics mode and failure to reconfigure graphics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Low graphics mode and failure to reconfigure graphics

An older computer in our house has been running Lubuntu for a while now, on an Intel Pentium 4 processor with 512MB of RAM. I's my father's computer that I setup and maintain for him but recently I've hit a snag. Every time I boot it, it will boot normally at first and show the Xubuntu (it also has Xubuntu) startup screen but then it almost immediately flashes to a menu on an all black background telling me that it's running in low graphics mode, and that my "Screen, graphics card, and input settings were not detected correctly". 'Enter' presses "Okay", and 'Escape' takes me to a terminal screen (I think but it doesn't let me do anything). The next screen if I press okay asks me me if I want to
    -Run in low graphics just this once
    -Reconfigure the settings myself
    -Troubleshoot the error
    -Or exit to a console login

I'd be able to figure it out from here, but by the time the second screen comes up the keyboard mysteriously stops working. It's still powered, as evidenced by the num lock light on, and the escape key still works to take me back to the terminal I described earlier but I can't move to any of the choices of use enter to select them. It's not a hardware issue, as I've pulled the hard drive out and run it on two other computers with a completely different keyboard with the same results.

It's a 32bit system, Ubuntu 12.04 with Lubuntu, 512MB RAM, and 18.ghz Pentium 4 processor. I'm fairly confident he didn't do anything to it, as he doesn't know how (Saved him from windows a while ago) and primarily uses it to surf the internet. Anybody?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Low graphics mode and failure to reconfigure graphics

Desperation bump