Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu is amazing!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    I am OS gnostic and proud. I see using proprietary OSes akin to using plastic containers. Sure it might be convenient, but eventually all that plastic is going to the ocean and making our lives more terrible. I'd rather not promote lock-in or monopolies. Not ever. The only proper use for windows is inside VirtualBox.
    I don't think so - running in VirtualBox does not enable you to play games or to use many other features in the OS and other software. I have dual boot Win7/Ubuntu 12.04 system and when I have to I switch to Windows for some tasks...

I think KiwiNZ is right - you should use whatever is usefull and most productive...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orange2k View Post
    I don't think so - running in VirtualBox does not enable you to play games or to use many other features in the OS and other software. I have dual boot Win7/Ubuntu 12.04 system and when I have to I switch to Windows for some tasks...

I think KiwiNZ is right - you should use whatever is usefull and most productive...
    has anyone tried using dual harddrives one for windows one for linux and then using hibernate to switch between operating systems? last time i tried hibernate on ubuntu it would bring up the grub menu again. would assume that this would be faster than rebooting entirely? or better yet have dual ssds one with windows and one with linux and some kind of mechanical switch for flipping between both instantly? is that even possible?
    Last edited by mamamia88; September 25th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

An OS agnostic LOL...love it.

I kind of feel the same way but finally with the latest update of Ubuntu and my ability to finally do screencasting lets me know if I wanted I could use Ubuntu for 'everything' I need.

I do still have a little love for Windows just because of a few programs I'm used to using like Camtasia, Lightroom, etc.

But if it came down to it...I could drop all windows now and be fine with it.

That's a great feeling.

2 thumbsup

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I am OS agnostic, I see uses for Linux, Windows, BSD OSX etc etc. If used correctly in the right circumstances all OS's can be said to be amazing.

Beans

It def my fav OS that I've used. But it is difficult to switch from Windows to Ubuntu, especially if you don't know much about computers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12