Thread: Active Directory

Beans

Active Directory

I'm trying to use Likewise to add my machine to an Active Directory. I don't have an administrator account that will allow me to join the AD. I'm wondering if there is a workaround in my case because I have been informed that the PC has been 'manually' added to the domain already. I was given a host name to use at installation time.

Apologies if my understanding of how this works is wrong. I've never been involved in Windows networking at this level before...

Beans

Re: Active Directory

If you don't get an answer here you may try the powerbroker forum

http://forum.beyondtrust.com/

Beans

Good call, thanks! I'm going to tackle this further on Monday, will post on the suggested forums if I'm still stuck & if no-one here has any info by then.

Beans

The eventual resolution to this issue was that someone with a suitable network administrator user ID and password came along and entered the required details. So, not too sure if it is possible to add a machine to the network manually/remotely and then authenticate without having to have the AD administrator actually get involved locally.

Beans

To join a Active Directory domain you do need a network admin's credentials. I think the admin could technically login remotely to do that, but they would have to have a local admin account on your machine and remote access set up on your machine. Really, it's a pain, regardless of which OS is the client.