Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One step cloning?

Beans

One step cloning?

I have an already existing 10.4 OS on two laptops.

To prepare for when and if one or both go out, is there a way to take a snapshot of OS and all files to make the start-up a a brand new laptop a one click job?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: One step cloning?

This might be what you are looking for.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22145...buntu-live-cd/
    Remember that if the hardware is different from one system to another you could have some problems.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What exactly are you wanting? Something to restore one of the laptops to the other or something to restore the laptop to so that if it fails you can simply reload like nothing happened?

AlphaA
    "Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer" -Voltaire

Beans

Thanks Irv. I will try Reconstructor out.

Hey Alphaamanitin! "God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." HAHaHaHaHa!

I am doing research and the company I am working for is buying new laptops, so I want to make installing Ubuntu and other programs (Gnu Radio specifically) a very simple and painless process.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't know of any one step process, but you may want to check out clonezilla.

Its actually for backing up an HDD or partitions, but I find it can also be used to load other computers. Ubuntu will usually see the change and automatically adjust its settings. It does have a one CD/DVD limit.

Also if you know what make/model your company is buying you can check for compatibility. Video compatibility especially.

And welcome to the forum

oops, I forgot Remasters
    Last edited by jerrrys; September 25th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Beans

Okay guys. I appreciate the help so far and have chosen to go with Remastersys. I ran this command apt get install remastersys after adding this to the sources.list: deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository karmic/.

I got this message:

The program 'apt' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk

So I did and it loaded perfectly.

But when I go to use it via either one of these routes: "sudo remastersys backup", or "sudo su" to become root and then run "remastersys dist"

I get "remastersys: command not found".

Any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahender1 View Post
    I am doing research and the company I am working for is buying new laptops, so I want to make installing Ubuntu and other programs (Gnu Radio specifically) a very simple and painless process.
    If you simply want to restore computers to a standard install then cloning is the way to go.

Have a look at,
    http://www.fogproject.org/
    http://clonezilla.org/

If you need more than that, ie controlling desktops, policies, software deploymenent etc etc (in essence managing corporate 10,000+ device environment) then let us know and we can post some links for you.

Beans
    Hidden!

I cannot assist you with remastersys as I use clonezilla and rsync. But many use this package, I expect someone to drop in. Till then how bout some reading

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...Search&lang=en

Beans

Does clonezilla or rsync allow you to save the complete enviroment you have on a laptop. The reason for my asking is I want to save Ubuntu 10.04, but I also want to have GNU Radio, etc. saved as well. This is to save time from installing the GNU Radio software onto a new laptop, which can be time consuming at best.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ahender1 View Post
    But when I go to use it via either one of these routes: "sudo remastersys backup", or "sudo su" to become root and then run "remastersys dist"

I get "remastersys: command not found".

Any ideas?
    Try the instructions and the forum on the www.remastersys.com website. I have been using remastersys for several years on Ubuntu and it has worked flawlessly for me. I did read the instructions and ask on the forums when necessary, but the gui for remastersys works well and explains what to do. I have never used remastersys from the command line - I never had to.

Also search youtube for remastersys or remastering Ubuntu and you will find video instructions.
    Last edited by ezsit; October 3rd, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast