Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Error message on screen due to monitor Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Error message on screen due to monitor Ubuntu 12.04

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday, but when I just turned the computer on right now, the following came up.

I will now say that the same thing did happen yesterday, however, the screen re adjusted itself, but now I'm having no luck!
    I can't even see the boot phase.

The message displayed on the screen is
    D-SUB

OUT OF RANGE

92.6KHz/58Hz

The monitor is an LG IPS235 Flatron and I have a driver disk...but that's for Windows only.

Please help!
    Last edited by tehforum; September 24th, 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Can't get to login screen due to monitor Ubuntu 12.04

Some googling if it helps

"We regret the trouble you have experienced with this monitor. An “Out of Range” message typically means that a setting has been configured on the computer that may not be compatible with the monitor. With a resolution of 1920x1080, the refresh rate of the computer must be at 60Hz. If it is not, then you will receive this error message. If you have additional questions about this unit, please contact our Customer Interactive Center at 800-243-0000."

Beans
    Distro

Re: Error message on screen due to monitor Ubuntu 12.04

If you can't even see your bios screen then I think there must be a hardware fault somewhere (ubuntu doesn't even load until after this point).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by carranty View Post
    If you can't even see your bios screen then I think there must be a hardware fault somewhere (ubuntu doesn't even load until after this point).
    Hi,

The weird thing is that when I plug in my Ubuntu 12.04 bootable usb stick, everything works fine.

Should I post my xorg.conf?

Beans
    Distro

I don't have a xorg.conf file...

I first looked in the standard /etc/X11/xorg.conf

not found

then I ran the command locate xorg.conf

it led me to

/usr/share/X11/zorg.conf.d

There are many files including

10-evdev.conf
    11-evdev-quirks.conf
    11-evdev-trackpoint.conf
    50-synaptics.conf
    50-vmmmouse.conf
    50-wacom.conf
    51-synaptics-quirks.conf
    Last edited by tehforum; September 24th, 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I found out that xorg.conf isn't used anymore.

I used xrandr, to change the refresh rate to 50Hz - edit, the setting didn't save .

I still get the little error message before the login screen comes up, then it refreshes and it works.

Ideally, I would like to get rid of the error message completely!
    Last edited by tehforum; September 24th, 2012 at 02:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi tehforum,

The xrandr command is a runtime command, which means it only applies to the current session. If you want to do it through a xrandr command you'll need to add it to a startup script: http://askubuntu.com/questions/63681...tion-permanent

It may be that Xorg isn't correctly detecting and configuring your monitor or it may also have something to do with your video chipset:
    Code:
    lspci |grep VGA
    and driver. In other words posting your video chipset and video driver would be a good idea.

Either way the more traditional thing to do is to then configure things in xorg.conf, which you can still do. Or now days you could do an identical, or nearly so, configuration in a custom xorg.conf.d .conf file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi tehforum,

The xrandr command is a runtime command, which means it only applies to the current session. If you want to do it through a xrandr command you'll need to add it to a startup script: http://askubuntu.com/questions/63681...tion-permanent

It may be that Xorg isn't correctly detecting and configuring your monitor or it may also have something to do with your video chipset:
    Code:
    lspci |grep VGA
    and driver. In other words posting your video chipset and video driver would be a good idea.

Either way the more traditional thing to do is to then configure things in xorg.conf, which you can still do. Or now days you could do an identical, or nearly so, configuration in a custom xorg.conf.d .conf file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.
    Hi, thanks for replying.

The results from the command:

Code:
    00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2)
    Also, when I went to system settings, and clicked on Additional drivers, it lists 4 drivers including

NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [recommended]

there are 3 other ones, but the point is that none of them are activated.

When I do try and activate them it says

Cannot change driver
    Reconfiguring X.org video drivers is not possible: /etc/X11/xorg.conf is invalid

Beans
    Distro

lol I just went through a struggle with a very similar card:
    Code:
    00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C51 [GeForce Go 6150] (rev a2)
    So the mobile version. I'm no video guru but I learned a couple of things dealing with it. See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=111779

It should be on the nouveau driver if it isn't on the proprietary Nvidia driver. Let's check:
    Code:
    lsmod |grep nouveau
    Cannot change driver
    Reconfiguring X.org video drivers is not possible: /etc/X11/xorg.conf is invalid
    Nvidia settings is suppose to generate a xorg.conf file when you activate the proprietary driver. Is there an xorg.conf file at /etc/X11? Maybe you just need to create an empty file called xorg.conf at /etc/X11 and that would make it happy?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    lol I just went through a struggle with a very similar card:
    Code:
    00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C51 [GeForce Go 6150] (rev a2)
    So the mobile version. I'm no video guru but I learned a couple of things dealing with it. See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=111779

It should be on the nouveau driver if it isn't on the proprietary Nvidia driver. Let's check:
    Code:
    lsmod |grep nouveau
    Nvidia settings is suppose to generate a xorg.conf file when you activate the proprietary driver. Is there an xorg.conf file at /etc/X11? Maybe you just need to create an empty file called xorg.conf at /etc/X11 and that would make it happy?
    It is destiny.

When I enter that command, I get no response. I think that's the error, right?

edit

Ok, I edited the grub file, and updated it.

And I typed in the command again, and I still get no response.
    Last edited by tehforum; September 24th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast