Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Error message on screen due to monitor Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Error message on screen due to monitor Ubuntu 12.04

I suspect so.

And then the problem is likely you are using the VESA failsafe driver and that's why the monitor isn't being handled correctly. So unless you can live with only 2 GB RAM you want the Nvidia proprietary driver activated and working.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    I suspect so.

And then the problem is likely you are using the VESA failsafe driver and that's why the monitor isn't being handled correctly. So unless you can live with only 2 GB RAM you want the Nvidia proprietary driver activated and working.
    Please see the previous edited post.

I've only got 2GB of RAM on this computer.

I remember the driver was activated yesterday (NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 173) so I don't know what went wrong.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, then that's different. The Nvidia driver probably blacklisted Nouveau and that's why it isn't available.

If it was activated yesterday see if there is an xorg.conf file in /etc/X11. Nvidia settings should have also generated a backup xorg.conf when it installed.

Was there a Nvidia driver update recently or did you have a hard shutdown or some such? If the driver is really activated you may just need to use the command to regenerate the xorg.conf if it is damaged.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, then that's different. The Nvidia driver probably blacklisted Nouveau and that's why it isn't available.

If it was activated yesterday see if there is an xorg.conf file in /etc/X11. Nvidia settings should have also generated a backup xorg.conf when it installed.

Was there a Nvidia driver update recently or did you have a hard shutdown or some such? If the driver is really activated you may just need to use the command to regenerate the xorg.conf if it is damaged.
    I made a xorg.conf file, and now I'm downloading and installing the recommended drivers.

edit: error still appears after restart.
    the computer doesn't like the "recommended drivers", compiz failed to launch and no menus are showing.

Now there's a window:

'precise' is no longer under development blah blah...

now the screen went black, with lots of multicoloured lines. great

However, that still doesn't solve the problem of the lsmod grep nouveau command giving no feedback, even when I edited the grub files.

Cheers for any help
    Last edited by tehforum; September 24th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Good, sounds like you are set.

The Nvidia driver blacklists the nouveau driver so it isn't available to a system that has installed the Nvidia proprietary driver. When you deactivate it it removes the blacklisting.

That's because the two weren't able to coexist until recently. Now supposedly they are. And with the new 302 Nvidia driver (out in May) the Nvidia proprietary driver is supposedly finally RandR compliant.

Edit: So still not working?

Beans
    Distro

Good, sounds like you are set.

The Nvidia driver blacklists the nouveau driver so it isn't available to a system that has installed the Nvidia proprietary driver. When you deactivate it it removes the blacklisting.

That's because the two weren't able to coexist until recently. Now supposedly they are. And with the new 302 Nvidia driver (out in May) the Nvidia proprietary driver is supposedly finally RandR compliant.
    Please see edited post.

Everything got screwed up lol

Beans
    Distro

Post your xorg.conf please.

Alright so some sort of Nvidia proprietary mess. But now you have key words to google with. The error messages and the chipset.

Nvidia has a complete HOW TO for linux on their site.
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...ettings.1.html
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...xconfig.1.html
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1101445.html

First thought is to check /var/log/apt and see if the recent history.log has a Nvidia update. You might want to role back to the previous version. Or the other way is to see if a updated driver is in the proposed repo. or check xorg-edgers if they have recent one they are pushing.

Beans
    Distro

Post your xorg.conf please.

Alright so some sort of Nvidia proprietary mess. But now you have key words to google with. The error messages and the chipset.

Nvidia has a complete HOW TO for linux on their site.
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...ettings.1.html
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...xconfig.1.html
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1101445.html

First thought is to check /var/log/apt and see if the recent history.log has a Nvidia update. You might want to role back to the previous version. Or the other way is to see if a updated driver is in the proposed repo. or check xorg-edgers if they have recent one they are pushing.
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

That was all that was there from memory.

How do I roll back to the (NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 173)? I can't access anything, the only thing I can see is a Trash icon.

Beans
    Distro

If you comment out the Device section (a # in front of every line) it should boot with the VESA driver. Use nano from Recovery Mode. Also Recovery Mode should let you boot with the failsafe, i.e. VESA, driver.

Beans
    Distro

If you comment out the Device section (a # in front of every line) it should boot with the VESA driver. Use nano from Recovery Mode. Also Recovery Mode should let you boot with the failsafe, i.e. VESA, driver.
    I can't load the recovery mode as the original error message means I can't see anything.

Can I fix it via a ubuntu 12.04 bootable usb?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast