Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: random and persistant hard kernel lock, 10.10 (old and newer kernel) and 12.04 (live

Beans

Re: random and persistant hard kernel lock, 10.10 (old and newer kernel) and 12.04 (l

I realise this might be vague and useless, but I used to have similar trouble and it turned out to be the CPU governor daemon locking up the system at random intervals. I don't use the current version of Ubuntu (went back to Debian), so I can't give you specific instructions, but if the governor daemon is the cause, you can disable it and hopefully keep your other ACPI features.
    Last edited by T.J.; September 30th, 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Beans

Re: random and persistant hard kernel lock, 10.10 (old and newer kernel) and 12.04 (l

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Can you do, while acpi=off:

Code:
    cat /sys/power/disk
    And post the output here?
    with that all I get is :
    david@SuperU:~$ cat /sys/power/disk
    test testproc [shutdown] reboot
    david@SuperU:~$

and nothing happens.

Beans
    Hidden!

No, just checking if it was still on platform. But that is not possible if you have acpi disabled (heh..).

Start bisecting then?
    linux-git/fs/super.c: "Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...\n",

Beans

should I first start with BIOS settings, since I saw warnings about BIOS? maybe turn off processor power management in BIOS?
    Or try to disable the cpu governor daemon like T.J. suggests? I was looking at threads pertaining to that and I saw a comment by a poster that his core2 quad Q9300 (close in specs to mine, just larger cache) does not work correctly with the governor daemon. He didnt mention having lockups tho.
    I dont know what to bisect here, I'm a dummy

Beans
    Hidden!

Sweet, we'll try disabling cpufreq then, can you post me the output of:

Code:
    lsmod

Beans

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24530033/logs%20sept%2029/lsmod
    Last edited by dave.kts; October 1st, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't see a cpufreq driver loaded. Could you post the output of:

Code:
    find /sys -iname \*cpu\*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    I don't see a cpufreq driver loaded. Could you post the output of:

Code:
    find /sys -iname \*cpu\*
    here are 2, 1 with processor power management off in BIOS, the other with it on.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24530033/lo..._powersave_off
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24530033/lo...u_powersave_on

I've had it turned off for a day or 2 now, no lockups so far (too early to tell)- CPU doesnt throttle down, but i dont care, this CPU runs cool and quiet, fan runs at 600 RPM all day and I run low 30 temps. only throttles down to 2GHZ (from 2.5) when enabled. Preserves the sleep function so if it works- good, but for the sake of it being solved, I feel the solution isn't an acceptable "fix"- having to disable it in BIOS.. for those that dual boot.. would rather fix or disable it in linux

BTW thank you for your time Rex

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dave.kts View Post
    here are 2, 1 with processor power management off in BIOS, the other with it on.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24530033/lo..._powersave_off
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24530033/lo...u_powersave_on
    I see that it loads two drivers:

- X86_CPUFREQ_NFORCE2
    - X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ

But I do now know which one is eventually used. It is being used, but in my case there is a file called 'scaling_driver' inside these cpufreq directory's which says: powernow-k8.

I also think you posted the output of:

Code:
    lsmod
    with scaling disabled inside the BIOS (am I correct?). If you want to know which driver you are using, you have to provide the output of (with sudo):

Code:
    dmesg
    lsmod
    However, for now, disabling this inside the BIOS is a pretty good solution since you are now absolutely sure it's disabled. I would say, test it out for a few weeks. If it doesn't hang anymore then you know it's in cpufreq, if it does then we have to look further.

If it's in cpufreq, then we can look inside the kernel directory for commits to test/revert (which is a relatively small task since you narrowed it down to cpufreq).

I've had it turned off for a day or 2 now, no lockups so far (too early to tell)- CPU doesnt throttle down, but i dont care, this CPU runs cool and quiet, fan runs at 600 RPM all day and I run low 30 temps. only throttles down to 2GHZ (from 2.5) when enabled. Preserves the sleep function so if it works- good, but for the sake of it being solved, I feel the solution isn't an acceptable "fix"- having to disable it in BIOS.. for those that dual boot.. would rather fix or disable it in linux
    The fact that it scales from 2,5GHZ to 2GHZ makes me think there is something wrong indeed (with cpufreq). My CPU's all scale till at least half of their max processing power. But I'm not sure though...

BTW thank you for your time Rex
    No problem!

Beans

did you want me to post those outputs with CPU scaling on or off in BIOS?

yeah I thought it was abnormal to only scale down to 2.0 GHZ- when the P4 3.2 that I used to cook eggs on.. er I mean use in this motherboard would scale down to 1.8 or so, my celeron laptop scales down to 600 MHZ.. im not sure tho. Cant say I know what windows xp shows with this CPU, i try not to use it. should i fire it up in XP?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast