Thread: Nvidia 9500 GT forgets HDMI after crashes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Nvidia 9500 GT forgets HDMI after crashes

Hello all,

I have been having trouble with my 9500 GT card. I have it set up in a Ubuntu 12.04 media centre, with a TV connected via HDMI. The set-up is working as a media server to other systems in the house, and as such is on 24/7. Unfortunately, a recent spait of power-cuts has caused the system to shut down abruptly, each time forgetting that it has an HDMI-out port.

I've tried using the closed-source Nvidia drivers (each of the four has the same issue, but changing drivers occasionally brings back the HDMI, if the last one failed.), as well as the open-source ones (which don't offer a high enough resolution for my needs). I tried installing a driver downloaded directly from Nvidia (a .run file), which installed correctly, but had the same issues.

Does anyone have a possible cause for this issue, or even better, a potential solution? The last time I had a power cut, it took me three hours to finally get the HDMI back up (using VGA, which always works). It's annoying more than anything. I love my Ubuntu-based media centre, but this is really spoiling the experience.

Many thanks for all your help,

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Nvidia 9500 GT forgets HDMI after crashes

I suggest "version current" as a driver, but I have no insight about whether this will solve your problems.

How long are the power cuts? A small UPS might be the best solution of all.
    Around here, $60 gets you something useful.