Thread: Problems with the Cd and downloading

Beans

Problems with the Cd and downloading

Hello to all,

i am a new Ubuntue user since one month, and I have to say that I really like much more than the system I was using before!!, much easier, and colourfull..

Iḿ trying my best for do the upgrades but allways become this message:

W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release i386 (20120423)/dists/precise/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release i386 (20120423)/dists/precise/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Also Im not able for see original DVDs on it, any ideas?

Thanx to all

Best regards

Beans

Re: Problems with the Cd and downloading

I'm having similar problems with DVDs. Hope you get some helpful answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I think the d/l from cd option has been turned on:
    check:
    Launcher=>USC=>task bar menu=>edit=>software sources: Under ubuntu software: ensure the check box for installable from CD-ROM/DVD is NOT checked.

also: Look in sources.list and make sure there are no corresponding lines for cd or dvd:
    dash=>search term sources --->click on sources.list icon (opens the file in the file manager).

kind regards <==BDQ

Beans

Please disable the CD-ROM repository as Bashing-om said above (just to elaborate, by 'USC' he means- 'Ubuntu Software Center'), or by manually editing the "sources.list" file :
    (just copy-paste and enter the following in a terminal)
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    add a '#' before each line that starts with "deb cdrom:", so that it looks like..
    # deb cdrom:....
    Proofread, save and close. Then retry updating, you won't get the error again.

By the way, for playing DVDs, you need some restricted codecs. An easier way is to just install VLC and use it for playing contents that require restricted codecs:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Please disable the CD-ROM repository as Bashing-om said above (just to elaborate, by 'USC' he means- 'Ubuntu Software Center'), or by manually editing the "sources.list" file :
    (just copy-paste and enter the following in a terminal)
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    add a '#' before each line that starts with "deb cdrom:", so that it looks like..

Proofread, save and close. Then retry updating, you won't get the error again.

By the way, for playing DVDs, you need some restricted codecs. An easier way is to just install VLC and use it for playing contents that require restricted codecs:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    Thanx, very usefull... I LOVE MY UBUNTUUUUUUUUUUUUUU YI HAAAAAAAAAWWW