Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Beans

Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Quote Originally Posted by Skara Brae View Post
    Hah, that's an easy one.

Installing programs. Unzip DMG, drag file in the DMG to Program folder, done.

Not even Synaptic can beat that (not even the CLI, for by the time you have typed apt-get, I have dragged the program to the Program folder).

The best thing that Apple has ever made, in my opinion, is OS X.

Really? On Mac you have to go over to internet and download dmg then copy it in to app folder where in Ubuntu:

just type terminal : sudo apt-get install "app-you-need" and it does it for you

And to remove app from mac you have to go to app folder search for it and delete it manually ( and if you want to remove all setting you have to go and search for it in five more folders...)
    Where in Ubuntu you just go to Ubuntu SW center and click remove..
    or
    terminal : sudo apt-get remove "app-you-dont-need" and it will remove all app settings too!

So while you have downloaded your dmg Ubuntu terminal will be finished installing an app!

I have a MacBook Pro with OS X Lion which is dual booted with Ubuntu 12.10 and Ubuntu boots much faster that OS X..

Beans

One Reason: I prefer to use it in production over Ubuntu. I cannot do the work that I do, in Ubuntu. It isn't possible. That's why.

Beans

Opinions are like a55holes. Everybody has one. You will justify your opinion and build your case. As an IT person since 1981 I have seen many OSs come and go. Can anyone say OS2? I started using Linux about 10 years ago and have had many heartaches with Linux making it work with hardware. What is different is that you need your skills and wits to make it smooth. I happen to like that but sometimes it is frustrating and sometimes you can't get there with Linux.

Ubuntu was the first Distro that made things work easier than other Distros. I have tried most of them but 12.04 has been a two edge sword. OSX is winning with most people because it is easy for one that just want a computer but views it as an entertainment box. Making it work with ipad and iphone makes it an easy choice. Apple has kept their eye on the prize. Yes you pay a lot for the convenience, but Ubuntu is not free. Your time spent getting it to work is your sweat equity. Right from the start you have to download it, make and ISO then install it. Setting it up and getting it to work like you want it is a lot of time spent that Mac users don't have to spend.

My Ubuntu is faster, smoother, (Compiz is still not right) and more flexible. The cube is fantastic and all the little shortcuts make it time well spent. Giving back and helping others in my family is fun because Ubuntu just works and Windoz just sucks with all the viruses and trojans that attack it. I call it pennies from heaven because as long as there is Windoz and Mac we will make money fixing it. Not many IT people have to work on Linux. They just set it up and it runs.

If Ubuntu team concentrates on integration with the cloud and makes things work with Android and other tablets like Apple does it would be a game changer instead of fighting over Cinnamon, Gnome, or KDE. Those are just opinions. Everybody has one.
    Last edited by rnrover; April 3rd, 2013 at 04:15 AM.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rnrover View Post
    Yes you pay a lot for the convenience, but Ubuntu is not free. Your time spent getting it to work is your sweat equity. Right from the start you have to download it, make and ISO then install it. Setting it up and getting it to work like you want it is a lot of time spent that Mac users don't have to spend.
    No matter how much you know, there's more to learn and solving those Linux-related issues is either trivial or makes you learn. So you get you "investments" back with a tidy "profit".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a 9 years old daughter,
    At home I have several machines with:
    Windows 98
    Windows 7
    Ubuntu
    Xubuntu
    OS X
    Plus 3 iphone and 2 android devices

The only machine were my daughter has had problems trying to figure out how to use the UI is: OS X on the macbook Air.

Beans

There are none except that the devices are pretty, so they get a lot of attention.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

In my own opinion, Mac is just a pretty version of Linux. it does almost exactly the same except for one really annoying fact that it can run silverlight for netflix and adobe suit and even more annoyingly microsoft excel that unfortunately nothing native to Linux can compete with.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tbobker View Post
    In my own opinion, Mac is just a pretty version of Linux. it does almost exactly the same except for one really annoying fact that it can run silverlight for netflix and adobe suit and even more annoyingly microsoft excel that unfortunately nothing native to Linux can compete with.
    Netflix is going to drop silverlight and adobe suit is no more, moving to the cloud and subscription only http://www.tested.com/tech/tablets/4...reative-cloud/
    In any case unless you are a pro and dish out $700+ in addition to the over priced Mac GIMP is good enough for most things (and hey, please support FOSS, these guys make this amazing software and give it to you for free) now that PS is only for subscribers there will be no more "freebies" so there will probably be less people using PS, once they are off it they would realize that they don't really need it for all these years

Nothing can compete with excel?? It depends on what you use it for. As a simple spreadsheet LO is quite adequate, for other things (stats or scientific computing) gnumeric is actually better, not to mention something magnitudes more powerful like R, for database, well why the hell do you even use excel??
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 19th, 2013 at 01:43 AM.

Beans

If anything goes wrong, you get to buy the latest system.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

You can brag to your friends that since you don't mind paying a lot for a Mac with mediocre specs so you must be rich.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast