Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Hi all

I recently managed to get Mac OS X 10.8 running in Virtualbox. After playing around with it and trying to work in it I came to the conclusion that it sucks.

Reasons:

1. Inconsistent look of the apps. One has old yellow paper, the other leather, some has shiny metal finishes. All to gimmicky to my taste.
    2. The default font is not even close to the quality of the Ubuntu font set.
    3. Much to vendor specific and locked down to be any fun.
    4. Cumbersome interface after having being spoilt with unity.
    5. The best app I found installed by default was vim, getting gvim setup on Mac OS X was way slower then just doing a sudo apt-get install vim-gnome

I own an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2, so I was contemplating getting a macbook or one of those mini macs. However after this experience I will take the same amount of cash I needed to get one of those and get myself the very best laptop that amount of cash can get, and install Ubuntu 12.04.1 immediately.

But maybe I am missing something? Surely there has to be a valid reason why the mac books are so expensive right?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

I saw Mac OS/X once.

My first impression was that the icons were very good looking. It makes sense to use a dock when your icons look that good.

Otherwise, If I was going to use a proprietary OS I would use windows 7 and get 100% app support. But something more proprietary than windows and less compatible than Linux?
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hah, that's an easy one.

Installing programs. Unzip DMG, drag file in the DMG to Program folder, done.

Not even Synaptic can beat that (not even the CLI, for by the time you have typed apt-get, I have dragged the program to the Program folder).

The best thing that Apple has ever made, in my opinion, is OS X.
    Registered Linux User #495429
    --
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ :: Asus A8V Deluxe :: 4 x 512 MB RAM :: Geforce 6600GT :: Xubuntu 10.04/Linux MInt 13 "Mate"/Windows XP Home

Beans
    Distro

Manual unzip? Sounds too much of a complication.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Manual unzip? Sounds too much of a complication.
    You apparently haven't tried it yet

A DMG is like a ZIP file in Windows or a DEB (or RPMs or tar.gzs) in Linux. Do you never download DEBs (or RPMs)?

But alright, what about un-installing a program, then? in OS X, drag the program icon from the Program folder to the bin, done.
    Registered Linux User #495429
    --
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ :: Asus A8V Deluxe :: 4 x 512 MB RAM :: Geforce 6600GT :: Xubuntu 10.04/Linux MInt 13 "Mate"/Windows XP Home

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skara Brae View Post
    But alright, what about un-installing a program, then? in OS X, drag the program icon from the Program folder to the bin, done.
    I've heard, and have not checked that some apps can leave behind configs or changes they've made to the system even after uninstalling them. It's because of OSX's simple paradigm of an app just being a folder with an executable and config files.

Do you have any knowledge of that?

Beans

Recently received a new Macbook Pro for my work machine. Everything just worked, no problems with anything except an update that made me have to revert to my "Time Machine" backup a month or so in. My single favorite thing is that I haven't had to search out a fix for VMware so that the kernel module with recompile even once through a few kernel updates. Even that "just works". Best laptop I have ever had, hands down.....and Time machine is awesome.... There really should be something like it for Linux....

Beans

Hah, that's an easy one.

Not even Synaptic can beat that (not even the CLI, for by the time you have typed apt-get, I have dragged the program to the Program folder).

yeah that is worth so much more money than sudo apt-get install name of program lol. not much difference than a linux tarball with a launcher in the extracted folder. aka firefox on linux. os wise i can't think of any reason to use osx over linux besides app compatibility.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Hah, that's an easy one.

I have to agree with Skara Brae, program install & uninstall is just so hassle free.
    No dependency problems, its all contained in the app.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying OS X is better than Ubuntu, (I'm not gonna put my nuts on that particular chopping block), I'm just agreeing that the App install procedure is quick & painless, and when you realise, the program sucks, getting rid of ALL of it, is childs play.

Beans

Hah, that's an easy one.

Really? On Mac you have to go over to internet and download dmg then copy it in to app folder where in Ubuntu:

just type terminal : sudo apt-get install "app-you-need" and it does it for you

And to remove app from mac you have to go to app folder search for it and delete it manually ( and if you want to remove all setting you have to go and search for it in five more folders...)
    Where in Ubuntu you just go to Ubuntu SW center and click remove..
    or
    terminal : sudo apt-get remove "app-you-dont-need" and it will remove all app settings too!

So while you have downloaded your dmg Ubuntu terminal will be finished installing an app!

I have a MacBook Pro with OS X Lion which is dual booted with Ubuntu 12.10 and Ubuntu boots much faster that OS X..

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast