Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    the magnetic power cord
    Great, one more thing to stick on the frig.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Great, one more thing to stick on the frig.
    Well, for the clumsy among us (e.g., me) it's a godsend to be able to trip on a power cord and not end up breaking it or sending the computer flying to the ground.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Well, for the clumsy among us (e.g., me) it's a godsend to be able to trip on a power cord and not end up breaking it or sending the computer flying to the ground.
    I spend time each year in Japan, and I notice that most small appliances are outfitted with magnetic power cords now. Less of a fire risk with earthquakes, I would expect. It's a good design feature for Apple, for whatever the reason. More companies should follow suit.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; August 19th, 2013 at 10:10 PM.

Beans

I've just read this article which mentioning a few pros and cons for both OSs, I suggest you to check it out and see there are some benefits for a mac:

http://iwillfolo.blogspot.com/2013/1...-mac-os-x.html

Beans

Any OS is a benefit if you like it. We can debate all day long about the pros and cons of linux and mac, but in the end we all just use what works for us. Me? I feel lost in MacOS. Every once in a while, I have to use my mother's Mac desktop, and I get confused if I have to do anything except click the icons on the dock. It's mostly a familiarity thing with OS's, not which one is better.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I use both. I like them both. Mac for work computers, Ubuntu on all home computers, Lubuntu on the older ones. I use open sources applications on all of them. The only one I did not find an equivalent for is Camtasia. it does not fully run in Wine.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I use both. I like them both. Mac for work computers, Ubuntu on all home computers, Lubuntu on the older ones. I use open sources applications on all of them. The only one I did not find an equivalent for is Camtasia. it does not fully run in Wine.
    Thank you for some semblance of sanity. But you have to admit that when you buy a mac, it holds your hand and leads you into the iworld. I don't like that. It's OK if people are into it, it's just not me. I like linux, period. Always have. I hope people respect my decision.

Beans

New to this discussion and I haven't read all of this thread.
    But as a linux newbie who has used various Windows and Mac OS's for years, here's my impression (based on using Mac OS X on mac hardware):

With macs, there is, speaking in broad terms, a very finite, tightly-controlled environment (or is the industry-favored term 'eco-system'?), such that you turn your computer on and it works straight away, and if something doesn't work, or you don't know how to do something, there's a reasonably large community of other users who are dealing with a similar, if not precisely the same, setup as you are, so you can quickly get help with problems and answers to questions. With linux, there are a gazillion different flavours, whether in terms of different distros, or different versions of distros - and that's not even to mention the multitudinous combinations of hardware. With Mac OS X, at any given time, there are just a handful of flavours of the OS extant, so when an update comes down, if there are significant problems, a fairly good number of people will experience them and complain. With linux, especially if you are a newbie, you don't know where to begin with sorting out problems. Is it your hardware? Is it your distro? Is it because the hardware manufacturer (or 3rd-party software provider) didn't bother to produce a proper driver for your version of linux?

It's also pretty easy to find lots of online and printed support for simple questions with OS X. Whereas with linux, while the info is out there somewhere, it can seem a much more daunting task finding it (at your level of understanding if you are new). A lot of times my google searches on various questions turn up discussion threads talking about Arch, or about compiling your own code, or about a fix for a problem that worked 18 months ago but that no longer works because the kernels/packages have been updated although the problem hasn't been eradicated.

That's not to say that there aren't many wonderful things about linux, particularly the power of having so many options available for designing your system as you want it to be.
    But, speaking as one of the less tech-savvy types who is still wet behind the ears with linux, I find myself retreating frequently to the comfort of my non-linux computers, where I can just do what I wanted to do on the computer and not think about the operating system. The OS should neither be seen nor heard, just function quietly in the background; l shouldn't have to spend 99% of my time trying to get it working properly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by help_me2 View Post
    Thank you for some semblance of sanity. But you have to admit that when you buy a mac, it holds your hand and leads you into the iworld. I don't like that. It's OK if people are into it, it's just not me. I like linux, period. Always have. I hope people respect my decision.
    Of course, there is no reason not to respect your decision. I have to admit I'm a little of the shiny kind..
    For work, I did not want any Windows computer, that is my take on it. No one forced me onto buying Macs when one day my univ could buy me a machine. I got the first one (a little white MB) in 2008, and was not lost at all, I had Linux on my own machines back from the first Mandrake release. I now have 3 of them and several colleagues moved from Windows to Mac after using mine.

Whatever the system, you have to make choices. Use what works for you, that is the most important.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

it depend on each person and their experiences whether good or bad. One person may say it better because they had good experinces working with it. I've been off and on and I've been on Windows for too long and wish I been on Linux. I'm for linux and I just brought MBP because I run a mobile dj and had too much issue with windows pc. I'm giving ubuntu studio a shot for myself disregard what other may say. Only you and I can say what's good or not.
    Linux been around long enough and it has gotten better than most I've seen.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast