Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

The Mac buys companies with the money it earns from selling products to improve the Mac. Aproximately every four weeks Apple buys a new company. It is gearing up for the Apple TV and, I am told, to develop a Consul that will beat Sony and all the other big names - as every Mac Owner shares their Apps via the Cloud. The biggest OS X (Pronounced: OS Ten) is OS X 10.9 Mavericks. it has over two hundred updates - which improves the system and, its free from the Apple App Store! There is a program you can initiate to change how the desktop looks so that it is like the new 'Retina display'. It is not entirely similar to Retina but it smoothes out the pixels so that its a good approximate of what you can expect if you get the real thing! Ubuntu company Canonical, is trying to bring out a new phone that has Ubuntu on it. will this phone have to bought with Ubunto on it or load up an empty phone with the free program? If it charges a fee for either item it will have crossed the line from Free Software to the same as Red Hat, Suse and other commercial Linux Products. What is the value then of Linux when Apple use the same system from which the Linux System was derived and is doing a better job of it for its members and clientele? The future will be interesting to see how Ubuntu responds to the Apple projects which are getting closer to becoming the dominant Product on the World Stage. Ubuntu is being endorsed by China - but then so is Apple which is being sold to some 700 million Chinese people who want an IMAC, MacBook Pro or its new ten inch by six inch Mac Pro System, which can provide 12-core CPU, 64GB of Ram, six Thunderbolt connections and four Ethernet gigabit connections which can also be configured in a daisy-chain network for umpteen terabytes of storage space whilst having a speed of at least 7 teraflops! It has to be marveled at, for its audacity as well as its power on the net!
    Terabyte1

Non sibi sed omnibus = "Not for oneself but for all."

Beans

It is a matter of taste and need. Every user is different. For example every music producer is different. Some think logic is better then cubase, while some are not real music producers but think they are. Some think a dj is a producer even. You cannot run any of those programs on linux and linux is poor with music production, video production, etc. So it is not the mac that is better than ubuntu but the fact that you cannot run the software you need to do your work. Would you blame Ubuntu for that ? If you do you are just and idiot. Look up what “idiot” means. It's Greek.

I do web design and development and run web servers too. All are linux systems (kubuntu/debian), from desktops to servers running i7 and the latest hardware. I can do everything on Kubuntu 12.04 way better than from windows 7. Some think that linux is not mature enough even for web development. Absolutely wrong. For example Kubuntu 12.04 is an excellent os for such a job. I find it so lame that web developers work on windows for example. People are lazy and they are used to windows and they do not want to lose 1 moment to learn how ubuntu desktops work. And I am not just using a text editor with white background and that's it, no, everything here is pushed to the maximum and it actually looks much more silky and mac-like (and even better) than any kind of windows 7 boring desktop that you cannot customize. The only thing I would reboot to windows for (once a month or so) is photoshop, although gimp is fine for my needs actually, or play some game that cannot run on linux. Except if you are a photoshop expert and you need to work on it. Web design has moved to a different level, the web pages are far more complicated than they were in 1996 or 2006. So if you are a guru of javascript, jquery, php and such, would you bother if that was on a mac or on linux ? But all the people I personally know that have a mac are some blondies (oh and some wannabe musicians) that think the internet is facebook itself (although a website cannot have a self). Once upon a time a friend switched from windows to mac and told me that windows suck. Guess what was the first software she installed on the mac. MSN. So she uses mac to chat you see ? And that, in a period where skype was not owned by microsoft and was out there for the rest of us.

Then is the other thing. I know some linux system administrators that have the philosophy that terminal is all there is. They make fun of me that I “still” (as they say) have a mouse. They believe that everything can be done with the keyboard and terminal. Which is absolutely not true of course, it is actually out of this universe. When I told one of them to disable the touchpad from his laptop he laughed. In fact those guys have never “produced” anything using a computer. They are excellent in what they do (I got to say that otherwise I would be very bad), but as it turns out, most of the computer world are fan-boys of their own philosophy. And these same guys are the ones that loved linux because it needs no reboot. Now they got their mouth shut on this. It is the same people that used to say that windows suck because there are security updates all the time. What a weird world. Computer people know EVERYTHING, wow.

You complain about windows 7 taking forever to update ? What a serious problem. You must have “never” faced your ubuntu getting stuck while updating kernel. OR your mac has never crashed while you were performing live-electronic-music in front of 2000 people in a club. I believe you. A friend of mine showed me his new mac on stage before they went live. He showed me a window that was complaining for a reboot saying something like “your mac is soooooooo good that it did not crash, but you better reboot” and he said “you just push the window out of the screen and you are fine”. An hour later live his logic “Pro” crashed on stage -- absolutely fresh new mac. That was because the software had the “Pro” on title and of course because macs never crash. Years ago Satriani said that his band's mac computers could not work on stage because the amps used were so loud, that the computers were going crazy. Oh ! Why I thought macs are so good at everything !

So if you own a mac, or a linux pc, or a windows pc, or any other, show me your work. First tell my why you use it and then why it is better. Same goes the other way. If you think linux is better, show me what you do with it first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use both OSX mavericks (laptop) and elementary OS (desktop) indoors and Windows 7 at work. I actually find the idea of some peoples' need to 'commit' to an OS a bit depressing and it seems pointless to take away your own choices. I have had issues with all three of the above systems but the communities for all three have been very helpful. Nothing like the type of reactions you'd expect had you believed everything on the internet. Your OS does not rule your life nor paint a picture of who you are, it's just there to do a job.
    Last edited by samwillc; January 29th, 2014 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by samwillc View Post
    I use both OSX mavericks (laptop) and elementary OS (desktop) indoors and Windows 7 at work. I actually find the idea of some peoples' need to 'commit' to an OS a bit depressing and it seems pointless to take away your own choices. I have had issues with all three of the above systems but the communities for all three have been very helpful. Nothing like the type of reactions you'd expect had you believed everything on the internet. Your OS does not rule your life nor paint a picture of who you are, it's just there to do a job.
    I agree, I'm possibly the biggest Apple fan boy going but still use Windows for Cubase when I need to over Logic, because the work flow is better and VST plug-in seem to work a lot smoother than under OS X. When using my computer for live music I will use OS X though as its less susceptible to issues (like blue screens) with various audio interfaces.

If I had the time I would try working with native Linux DAWs and see how it goes!

Some think that linux is not mature enough even for web development. Absolutely wrong.
    110%. Mac/Linux are by far much more productive for web development. From version control to setting up a local dev environment and replicating production environments on a local dev machine. Sublime, Git, SASS is a perfect setup for me and Git on Windows isn't nice to use and Ruby is always painful.

I do miss Time Machine massively, but bar that Linux is just as good for my needs (music production aside) and that's coming from a die hard Apple fan.

Don't know why people ask for people to give reasons to use a certain OS. I like OS X so I use it. I couldn't care less what OS someone else choose or if they didn't like what I use.
    Last edited by Jake_Paine; March 7th, 2014 at 12:39 PM.

Beans

Yes, I can give you one good reason for sure...

As much as I love Ubuntu, there is one burning issue I have which I have been told cannot be solved http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2178086

This is one (for me HUGE) reason why Mac and dare I say Windows are more viable options if you wish to be able to safely 'Hot Dock' your hardware without endangering your computer to regular hard resets, which I would love to do by the way, after all thats what modern computing is about, less restrictions, or am I missing something?

Of course I'm also hoping this can be solved somehow, as I do otherwise love using Linux/Ubuntu.

Best wishes
    ShaOne

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've never had anything like that problem on Ubuntu in 6 years and five machines, and I know people who've had something similar happen with flash drives on Windows 7. I set up a Mac Mini for a friend and found that if we tried to suspend and resume it with her USB hub attached, it'd hang. Your problem is nothing to do with how any one OS regularly behaves as a system - such things happen to any OS.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314