Thread: What happens after installing nvidia graphic drivers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question What happens after installing nvidia graphic drivers?

Hey guys,

I'm going through some sort of most weirdest problem here.

During and after installing Ubuntu 12.04.1 x64 LTS. My NVIDIA - 9600GT Graphic card's Cooling fan rotates on the most high RPM and that is obvious to install Graphic Card's drivers to slow it down.

When I install graphic card's drivers, I am not able to boot into Ubuntu again. After boot screen comes, theres no progress after it. I try to go into recovery mode and repair packages, but all in vain.

I changed my source, tried to install from "ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates" ppa, but also it does the same.

Please advise.

FYI, my last OS was Ubuntu 10.10 which I used since the day it came. All used to went smooth. I have been using Ubuntu since last more than 3 years and this hasn't happened to me ever. (Looks like Linus Torvalds' comment at Aalto university for NVIDIA was quite right)
    I'm the best in what I do!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What happens after installing nvidia graphic drivers?

I have 12.04 with nVidia 9600GT and have no issues.

I have the 304.43 driver from the repository. I selected the current version updates as the older version (standard version) when I installed was 295.40, but I do not think the major issues with that version applied to 9600 series anyway.

NVIDIA 295.49 Fixes Linux Performance Regression
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA5NjQ
    Fixing the performance regression of the 295.40 driver that affected GeForce 6 and GeForce 7 series hardware.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.