Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on whether or not to buy Toshiba P855 S5200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Suggestions on whether or not to buy Toshiba P855 S5200

Hi,

Recently I've been considering buying a new laptop and well it seems the market I'm in has rather narrow options - it's flooded with Toshiba. I've been waiting for one store to import Dell Inspiron n5110 but there's a possibility that it may not happen. I don't like Toshiba but I don't have a choice. I've found L855 S5132 and Toshiba P855 S5200 models. I'm not keen on buying the L855 when the said Dell has better functionality for the same price.

So, if there's anyone of you who have bought a Toshiba P855 S5200, what was your experience with it like using Ubuntu? Should I buy it? How complicated would it be to deal with the UEFI? (the store I found it in has Windows 7 Professional 64 bit installed, would that ease things or not?)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by EthioJOB; September 3rd, 2013 at 04:45 PM.

Beans

Re: Suggestions on whether or not to buy Toshiba P855 S5200

I have the toshiba p55-a5200. do check that model out as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bibek2 View Post
    I have the toshiba p55-a5200. do check that model out as well.
    Do you mean P855? If so, can you tell me your experience with it?

Beans

no i mean the p55-a5200. ubuntu runs pretty well on it and everything works out of the box. even the full hd resolution (1920x1080) is functioning out of the box on ubuntu.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks for the link, but as i said i have rather narrow options. haven't seen this model around.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have a laptop according to this link

http://www.toshiba.se/laptops/satell...-pro-c850-19w/

and it works well with Ubuntu. I run it only for testing right now, but I have a backed up install with dual boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS in UEFI mode. I can switch UEFI on and off easily.

But there might be important differences between my computer and those you are considering. Would you have an opportunity to try a live system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I have a laptop according to this link

http://www.toshiba.se/laptops/satell...-pro-c850-19w/

and it works well with Ubuntu. I run it only for testing right now, but I have a backed up install with dual boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS in UEFI mode. I can switch UEFI on and off easily.

But there might be important differences between my computer and those you are considering. Would you have an opportunity to try a live system?
    Yes, there are substantial differences between the models. The Toshiba C-series are entry-level products, while the P-series are premium products. The specs alone tell. There's also a large difference in price.

I can try a live system but that is normally good for a short general scan of the product's compatibility. There tends to be minor problems now and then that can be noticed only after a while. That's why I wanted to hear of others experience first.
    Last edited by EthioJOB; September 10th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Toshiba are very well built and run quite cool, even their cheaper models. Three laptops got rated for their minimal breakdowns, Toshiba, SONY Vaio and ASUS. You won't go wrong with the Toshiba.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    Toshiba are very well built and run quite cool, even their cheaper models. Three laptops got rated for their minimal breakdowns, Toshiba, SONY Vaio and ASUS. You won't go wrong with the Toshiba.
    It's not so much the hardware as it is the compatibility with Ubuntu that I'm concerned about. I just need someone to either confirm that it's pretty compatible or enlighten me of the problems if there are any. I don't know the recent trend, but Toshiba's compatibility were pretty much a question of luck.

PS: their L, S and P series look good, but I would not recommend the C series. The recent C855 models seem to be an improvement on their predecessors, but I'm not taking any chances. Besides, I'm looking for something a little bit on the higher end as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast