Thread: Cron Not Working

Beans

Cron Not Working

After upgrading from Mythbuntu 11.04 to 12.03 cron does not appear to be working. I have scripts in /etc/cron.daily and /etc/cron.weekly that aren't running. I modified /etc/crontab from
    25 6 * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily )
    to
    05 4 * * * root run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
    to eliminate anacron as the issue (though I didn't restart cron if that makes a difference). If I run it manually via
    sudo run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
    everything in that directory runs fine.

Ideas?

Beans

Re: Cron Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by jamoody View Post
    After upgrading from Mythbuntu 11.04 to 12.03 cron does not appear to be working. I have scripts in /etc/cron.daily and /etc/cron.weekly that aren't running.
    Ideas?
    I recently had problems with scripts in /etc/cron.daily etc not running. The problem was caused by the script names having dot characters in them. Eg myscript.sh is not allowed by default and won't run, but myscript-sh is OK.

See this from man run-parts:
    "If neither the --lsbsysinit option nor the --regex option is given then the names must consist entirely of ASCII upper- and lower-case letters, ASCII digits, ASCII underscores, and ASCII minus-hyphens".

Beans

Re: Cron Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by jamoody View Post
    If I run it manually via
    sudo run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
    everything in that directory runs fine.

Ideas?
    I had a problem with this after upgrading and it was an issue with the environment that cron runs in. I was missing a few configuration files in root. The cron utility does not get the environment of sudo -- for me the commands worked as sudo but not in the cron job because with sudo the script in question was getting the configuration files out of my user's folder whereas cron need them in /root.

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...-a-script-with for ideas about testing the cron environment.