Thread: /home Partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

/home Partition

Can I use the same /home partition (same UUID) for two different Ubuntu installations; i.e. 12.04 and 12.10?
    Netbook ASUS EeePc (701C) - Peppermint4
    Desktop AMD, GeForce 210 - WinXP/Ubuntu Development Release
    Laptop MSI Wind-U230 - Win7/Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro

Re: /home Partition

Quote Originally Posted by TunaCanTommy View Post
    Can I use the same /home partition (same UUID) for two different Ubuntu installations; i.e. 12.04 and 12.10?
    Yes, but you should probably use two different users between installations, because otherwise they will share the same directory (thus the same configuration files), and things may not work out nicely. Two different users with their own home directories on a shared /home partition works great.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans

Sort of. Two different versions of the same software may occasionally use different configuration settings, and on rare occasions this can cause problems. Particularly if you are regularly switching back and forth between versions. You may get away with it, or you may be better off using different users as jrog suggests. For one-off upgrades, it is worth keeping the same folder and be aware that you just might have to delete the settings folder for one or two applications.

Gnome was always my biggest problem - upgrading often caused niggles, and gnome tends to scatter its config across multiple folders, making it hard to find and remove all the old entries.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Sort of. Two different versions of the same software may occasionally use different configuration settings, and on rare occasions this can cause problems. Particularly if you are regularly switching back and forth between versions. You may get away with it, or you may be better off using different users as jrog suggests. For one-off upgrades, it is worth keeping the same folder and be aware that you just might have to delete the settings folder for one or two applications.

Gnome was always my biggest problem - upgrading often caused niggles, and gnome tends to scatter its config across multiple folders, making it hard to find and remove all the old entries.
    Yes, sorry, I was assuming that the OP wanted to keep both installations and regularly switch between the two. If this is just a question about upgrading from 12.04 to 12.10 and keeping the same user and same home directory, then yes, it is quite possible (recommended, I'd say) to keep the same home directory and user between upgrades.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro

Thanks gentlemen, I'll mark this thread solved.
    Netbook ASUS EeePc (701C) - Peppermint4
    Desktop AMD, GeForce 210 - WinXP/Ubuntu Development Release
    Laptop MSI Wind-U230 - Win7/Ubuntu Development Release