Thread: Beowulf Clusters using Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Beowulf Clusters using Ubuntu 12.04

from the past few days, i was trying to build a Beowulf cluster out of three machines.
    i installed Ubuntu 12.04 server ed. for the master node and Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop ed. for other nodes.
    i followed this website step by step: http://byobu.info/wiki/Building_a_si...er_with_Ubuntu

Every thing when smoothly until i encountered problem while setting up mpd. I tried several other blogs to trouble shoot the problem and i figured out that mpich2 doesnt come with mpd deamon rather there is another called Hydra. (i am not sure about this.) i tried to use Hydra (mpiexec ) but it not working
    it is giving error such as no routes from host to nodes.

upto this step i followed everything on the blog and it worked fine (like setting up ssh and login to nodes from master node without password)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Beowulf Clusters using Ubuntu 12.04

Hello curious9,

I'm the author of that tutorial. After reading your post I decided to revise the tutorial. I just finished updating it for Ubuntu 12.10.

You are correct that new versions of MPICH2 no longer come with MPD, but with Hydra instead. The MPICH Wiki explains this nicely:

MPD has been the traditional default process manager for MPICH till the 1.2.x release series. Starting the 1.3.x series, Hydra is the default process manager. - Frequently Asked Questions - Mpich
    So I revised the entire tutorial and included steps for configuring Hydra. I also made other changes throughout the tutorial, so you might want to read through the tutorial again. The URL for the tutorial has changed as well: http://byobu.info/article/Building_a...r_with_Ubuntu/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by figure002 View Post
    So I revised the entire tutorial and included steps for configuring Hydra. I also made other changes throughout the tutorial, so you might want to read through the tutorial again. The URL for the tutorial has changed as well: http://byobu.info/article/Building_a...r_with_Ubuntu/

I am new to the clustering world and I followed your tutorial step by step, but once I get to the point of running mpdboot everything works great. At that point it tells me mpdboot command not found. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by patrick-wood29 View Post
    I am new to the clustering world and I followed your tutorial step by step, but once I get to the point of running mpdboot everything works great. At that point it tells me mpdboot command not found. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    From the tutorial:

MPD has been the traditional default process manager for MPICH till the 1.2.x release series. Starting the 1.3.x series, Hydra is the default process manager.(10) So depending on the version of MPICH you are using, you should either use MPD or Hydra for process management. You can check the MPICH version by running mpich2version in the terminal. Then follow either the steps for MPD or Hydra in the following sub sections.
    It seems you followed the steps for MPD, while you should be using Hydra instead.