Thread: Vista missing from grub - Windows 7 not missing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Vista missing from grub - Windows 7 not missing.

Two (Vaio) laptops, Vista/Quantal on one, Windows 7/Quantal on the other, Quantal on both fully updated as of a few minutes ago. Both have Windows recovery partitions on sda1 and boot into Windows itself from sda2. (7 has the usual separate small boot partition on sda2).

Apart from Quantal, the grub menu on the Vista machine only has an entry for the recovery partition, not for Vista itself. The W7 Machine still has entries for both the recovery partition and for Windows. The Vista machine did have a grub option for Windows a few days ago, but I can't recall when it disappeared. There was a grub update today, and I only noticed the missing entry today, do perhaps it was today's update that did it.

Anyone else notice this with a Vista dual-boot?

Running update-grub didn't pick up the sda2 Windows. I've done a quick and dirty edit of grub.cfg and Vista boots up OK from that, so there's nothing wrong with the Vista partition boot sector. Running update-grub a subsequent time removes my edit (as expected) but still doesn't pick up Vista.

I'll add a Vista stanza in 40_custom in the unlikely event I need to boot into Vista, but I'm curious about this.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Vista missing from grub - Windows 7 not missing.

After update of grub my Win7 is not showing.But I do see partition in 'shortcuts' menu.
    Haven't had an issue like this in years
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro

the new grub isn't even finding all my linux installs .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

After updateing yesterday, grub has found my Win7 install and now in grub all proper.
    So glad it sorted itself out, may have taken a couple of weeks but it got there.
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

a few days ago there was a version of grub in the repos that only added partitons that were mounted when grub-install was run, but the new version is fine here at least, if your still having problems try mounting the OS partitons and running grub-install from a terminal
    Jeremy Clarkson - "A Dazzling Hero of Political Incorrectness"
    My LastFM profile
    want to Give each GTK program its own theme? well look Here