Thread: slow boot inspiron 1502 and others

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

slow boot inspiron 1502 and others

I operate a Inspiron 1501, a Inspiron 6400 and a Vostro 1520 on lubuntu 12.04, ubuntu 10.04 and on ubuntu 12.04 LTS respectively. All show the following phenomenon:
    after power on a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner on a black screen for 1-2min after that grub seems to kick in (with GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=10 in the grub.cfg one can see the countdown from 10 to 0 AFTER the two min waiting time) at this point boot proceeds with expected speed.

What happens during those 1-2min? How could I diagnose this?

Help is greatly appreciated. From the forum activities I conclude that I am not the only one dealing with this problem.
    Last edited by DrScum; October 6th, 2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Re: slow boot inspiron 1502 and others

Did you look into the system log file /var/log/syslog It should give you information what the system is doing during that time. Are you using wireless LAN or are there external devices attached, e.g. via usb?

Beans
    Distro

Re: slow boot inspiron 1502 and others

Thanks for the syslog hint.
    I looked in the syslog and found the first entry of the last boot at
    18:38:52 the last entry of the sequence is time stamped with:
    18:39:32
    Doesn't that mean that the boot sequence should have taken like 40s?
    I would be more than happy with that. But in real time it takes over 2min!

I do use WLAN but no usb devices attached. I tried to boot without mouse attached and without LAN cable attached, with WLAN switched off but the flashing cursor/blank screen doesn't disappear.

Would't the conclusion be that the culprit is situated before the Ubuntu kernel starts up? That would put grub on the spot, wouldn't it?. I checked that too in the grub.cfg (see original post). The flashing cursor/blank screen sequence happens BEFORE grub counts down from 10 to 0.

What would be the culprit then and how to diagnose it is my question.