Thread: 12.04 Wacom Volito tablet "pressed" when it gets close despite TabletPCButton setting

Beans

12.04 Wacom Volito tablet "pressed" when it gets close despite TabletPCButton setting

My problem is the same as the one listed in this thread, only I'm using an original Volito rather than the Volito 2.

I've tried the fixes listed in that thread. Using xsetwacom to set TabletPCButton on (defaults to off) made no difference for me. Also, there was no entry in dconf for tablet-pc-button, so I created one, which did set TabletPCButton permanently on, but again made no difference.

There is an LED indicator on my Volito, which only goes green when I touch the tablet with the pen, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the sensor for this. Running evtest reports a load of pressure changes when the pen gets near the tablet (I don't know if it's supposed to do that). This definitely wasn't a problem with Ubuntu 11.10, and I'm pretty sure it was working with 12.04 for a while after that came out (can't say 100% though).

I'm not sure what information is needed, so:

Code:
    $ xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom Volito stylus                     	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ No brand Combo Free KVM                 	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom Volito eraser                     	id=17	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom Volito cursor                     	id=18	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Chicony USB Keyboard                    	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Chicony USB Keyboard                    	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ No brand Combo Free KVM                 	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ UVC Camera (046d:0990)                  	id=16	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Gaming Keyboard                         	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Gaming Keyboard                         	id=14	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ G15 Extra Keys                          	id=15	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    Code:
    $ dpkg -s xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    Package: xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    Priority: optional
    Section: x11
    Installed-Size: 287
    Maintainer: Ubuntu X-SWAT <ubuntu-x@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Architecture: amd64
    Source: xf86-input-wacom
    Version: 1:0.14.0-0ubuntu2
    Replaces: wacom-tools (<< 0.10.0)
    Provides: xorg-driver-input
    Depends: xorg-input-abi-16, xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.10.99.901), libc6 (>= 2.4), libx11-6, libxi6 (>= 2:1.2.0), libxinerama1, libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0)
    Suggests: xinput
    Conflicts: wacom-tools (<< 0.10.0)
    Description: X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver
     This package provides the X.Org driver for Wacom tablet devices.
    Homepage: http://linuxwacom.sf.net
    Original-Maintainer: Ron Lee <ron@debian.org>
    Code:
    $ xsetwacom -V

Beans

Re: 12.04 Wacom Volito tablet "pressed" when it gets close despite TabletPCButton set

To make the tablet usable, I went into GIMP preferences>input devices and enabled "Wacom Volito stylus". Now it can detect pressure, and the accidental "presses" have too low pressure to be visible.

It's only a workaround, but that's how I did it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 Wacom Volito tablet "pressed" when it gets close despite TabletPCButton set

Hi NoxDeleo,

If it is mainly Gimp you see the problem in dudeawesome's suggestion (welcome to Ubuntu forums dudeawesome!) to change stylus Mode to screen for pressure sounds good.

What is suppose to happen is the driver sets the default behavior for hover. Graphics tablets such as the Volito are suppose to have hover mode (TabletPCButton off) set by default. And tablet PCs are suppose to have hover mode off (TabletPCButton on) by default.

Unfortunately the gnome-settings-daemon and Control Panel Wacom applet have added a new layer of complexity to the situation. Given that you had to create a key and add a value to the gnome-settings-daemon for TPCButton it sounds like maybe they removed it from gnome-settings-daemon because it was causing problems not being implemented in the applet.

The Gnome design team has veto over what appears in the Wacom applet. Apparently they don't understand what hover mode is and what it is for and were considering deleting it. Since the Wacom applet developers didn't either they weren't putting up much of a fight. Now that the Linux Wacom Project has been alerted to this a controversy is raging!

I think the key may lie just where you suspect:
    Running evtest reports a load of pressure changes when the pen gets near the tablet (I don't know if it's supposed to do that).
    Pressure should only be reported, pretty much, when the stylus tip is in contact. So there might be some sort of proximity bug for the Volito.

With everything set to default and after a fresh boot what to you see with?
    Code:
    xsetwacom get "Wacom Volito stylus" "TabletPCButton"

xsetwacom get "Wacom Volito stylus" "Threshold"

xsetwacom get "Wacom Volito stylus" "CursorProximity"

xsetwacom get "Wacom Volito stylus" "RawSample"

xsetwacom get "Wacom Volito stylus" "Suppress"

Beans

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately, with what seems to be some really annoying timing I literally just upgraded to 12.10, and my tablet is working as usual again. Good for me, but bad for debugging the issue. I hadn't tried the tablet again (on 12.04) since opening this thread since I'd assumed it was still broken, so I can't say if it still is, but I'm happy to run it off a persistent USB to find out. I'll try that and give you that debug information if it's still broken.

Oh and it was globally rather than just GIMP (in Xournal and on the desktop), but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Edit: Just tried out a month and a half old 12.04 USB and the tablet seemed to work fine, so it seems either something was broken and subsequently fixed, or maybe it was some weird culmination of circumstances causing the bug for me. Anyway thanks for the help, and if you ever need anything testing on a Volito feel free to PM or email me.
    Last edited by NoxDeleo; October 21st, 2012 at 11:10 PM.