Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10: How to install a DVB-T USB Stick based on a Realtek rtl2832u chip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ubuntu 12.10: How to install a DVB-T USB Stick based on a Realtek rtl2832u chip

After searching on Internet with no success for instructions ( and source) to compile a rtl2832u module on Ubuntu 12.10 (x64) with 3.5 kernel I solved the problem by doing the following

a. First, I've upgraded to 3.6 kernel series from an official ubuntu repository.

Link: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3.6.3-quantal/

I've installed the following packets for my x64 enviroment:

linux-headers-3.6.3-030603-generic_3.6.3-030603.201210211349_amd64.deb 21-Oct-2012 17:57 921K
    linux-headers-3.6.3-030603_3.6.3-030603.201210211349_all.deb 21-Oct-2012 17:50 12M
    linux-image-3.6.3-030603-generic_3.6.3-030603.201210211349_amd64.deb 21-Oct-2012 17:57 12M
    linux-image-extra-3.6.3-030603-generic_3.6.3-030603.201210211349_amd64.deb 21-Oct-2012 17:57 27M

b. From this link: http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git
    I cloned and built the repository following these instructions:

git clone git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git
    cd media_build
    ./build

c. I did not install the modules because after I built it I wanted to recompile it again manually. First, I had to alter two files, in the source: "rtl28xxu.c" and "dvb-usb-ids.h" in order to add my dvb-t stick's vendor id (0x1b80) and product id (0xd394). I've attached a zip archive with these two altered files. You can track the changes by searching for the word:

Turbox

I found the vendor id and product id from the syslog when I connected the stick on a USB port. Below is a copy from the relevant part of my syslog:

Oct 30 18:02:49 ubuntu kernel: [ 2885.211906] usb 2-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
    Oct 30 18:02:50 ubuntu kernel: [ 2885.313752] usb 2-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=1b80, idProduct=d394
    Oct 30 18:02:50 ubuntu kernel: [ 2885.313757] usb 2-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    Oct 30 18:02:50 ubuntu kernel: [ 2885.313760] usb 2-1.5: Product: usbtv
    Oct 30 18:02:50 ubuntu kernel: [ 2885.313763] usb 2-1.5: Manufacturer: realtek

d. I compiled manually the tree by cd'ing inside the directory media_build($ cd media_build).

For compiling, first do:

make clean

and after

make -C ./v4l

e. Last I've installed the modules:

sudo make install

I used MeTV to scan for the channels. The scan finished succesfully but I could only tune and view the first channel on the list.
    With VLC i had no problem at all. Everything worked beautifully.

I hope these instructions to prove helpful for others too
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by milro; October 31st, 2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: I forgot to attach the zip...

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.10: How to install a DVB-T USB Stick based on a Realtek rtl2832u chip

Hi milro
    I guess you are from greece and i'm wondering if your tuner is the Turbo-X DTT-1000.
    P.S. I tried your method but with the default kernel 3.5
    Everything seemed to go smoothly but still the tuner is not recognized
    Also, what Firmware did you use??
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ubuntu 12.10: How to install a DVB-T USB Stick based on a Realtek rtl2832u chip

Quote Originally Posted by LSDalKa View Post
    Hi milro
    I guess you are from greece and i'm wondering if your tuner is the Turbo-X DTT-1000.
    P.S. I tried your method but with the default kernel 3.5
    Everything seemed to go smoothly but still the tuner is not recognized
    Also, what Firmware did you use??
    Thanks
    Hi! I am from Greece as you said and yes the commercial name of my stick is Turbo-X DTT-1000.
    The most important thing before you do anything is to connect your usb stick, check the syslog and write down the idVendor (1b80 in my case) and idProduct (d394 in mycase).
    If these are the same as mine then ultimately the tuner can work on Ubuntu. I did not try the 3.5 series kernel at all, but now that i've read your post i will reboot my machine to the older kernel and i will try to compile the v4l tree against it and see if it will work...
    I will post again as soon as I have results...
    For my tuner there is no need to do anything for the firmware
    Last edited by milro; November 10th, 2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: An answer about the firmware...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by milro View Post
    Hi! I am from Greece as you said and yes the commercial name of my stick is Turbo-X DTT-1000.
    The most important thing before you do anything is to connect your usb stick, check the syslog and write down the idVendor (1b80 in my case) and idProduct (d394 in mycase).
    If these are the same as mine then ultimately the tuner can work on Ubuntu. I did not try the 3.5 series kernel at all, but now that i've read your post i will reboot my machine to the older kernel and i will try to compile the v4l tree against it and see if it will work...
    I will post again as soon as I have results...
    For my tuner there is no need to do anything for the firmware
    Ok, I've tried it on 3.5.0-17-generic and everything worked fine. So, probably you are doing something wrong or you have a different stick than mine which perhaps is not supported.
    If you provide a relevant part from your syslog perhaps I could understand better your problem.

Beans

WoW! You did kernel downgrade just to help me!
    I really don't know what to say
    I hope you won't curse me but I have already tried with the updated kernel from the links you provided (with the same results).
    We have exactly the same tuner and the same OS.
    The installation is absolutely smooth, no error at all.
    One thing that I haven't tried is to wipe all the different methods I have tried for installing the V4L&DVB and and all the firmwares etc. and all the associated files they installed before applying the modified one you provided.
    Being total beginner in linux I am not sure if that interferred with anything,
    BUT for sure with your method I saw two positive differences:
    1)Some error-like messages at the boot screen about the device disappeared
    (i don't recall the exact messages but they didn't seem fatal)
    2)I found the following lines in dmesg which i think have not appeared until then:
    [ 9263.952207] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd
    [ 9264.094122] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1b80, idProduct=d394
    [ 9264.094133] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    [ 9264.094140] usb 1-2: Product: usbtv
    [ 9264.094145] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: realtek
    Unfortunately none of the three DVB programs I tried seemed to 'see' the tuner.
    As I am out of time today, I 'll try tommorow to clear everything fisrt and then reinstall once again watching closely the syslog and I'll report back.
    Really apreciate your help...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

WoW! You did kernel downgrade just to help me!
    I really don't know what to say
    I hope you won't curse me but I have already tried with the updated kernel from the links you provided (with the same results).
    We have exactly the same tuner and the same OS.
    The installation is absolutely smooth, no error at all.
    One thing that I haven't tried is to wipe all the different methods I have tried for installing the V4L&DVB and and all the firmwares etc. and all the associated files they installed before applying the modified one you provided.
    Being total beginner in linux I am not sure if that interferred with anything,
    BUT for sure with your method I saw two positive differences:
    1)Some error-like messages at the boot screen about the device disappeared
    (i don't recall the exact messages but they didn't seem fatal)
    2)I found the following lines in dmesg which i think have not appeared until then:
    [ 9263.952207] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd
    [ 9264.094122] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1b80, idProduct=d394
    [ 9264.094133] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    [ 9264.094140] usb 1-2: Product: usbtv
    [ 9264.094145] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: realtek
    Unfortunately none of the three DVB programs I tried seemed to 'see' the tuner.
    As I am out of time today, I 'll try tommorow to clear everything fisrt and then reinstall once again watching closely the syslog and I'll report back.
    Really apreciate your help...
    Do not be afraid, I will not curse you because I did not do any downgrades I 've just booted to a previous kernel using the advanced option in ubuntu boot menu.
    Seeing your log, this is the exact message I saw when I first connected my usb stick after the 12.10 ubuntu installation without any drivers for it. So if you see just that then it will not work.
    Let's try modify my original instructions for the default kernel and be more specific...

1. You have to install git. You can do that from the ubuntu software center

2. You have to install the linux headers for your kernel (I do not remember if originally are there already...):
    Close the ubuntu software center if it is still open
    On Dash menu (the first icon, top left on your monitor) write synaptic. You will see an application with that name, open it.
    It will ask for your password to authenticate.
    When it's open you will see on top a search lens icon and besides it a search box. Write on the search box linux-headers-3.5.0-17 (you do not have to press enter). You will see immediately below the result of your search. Every line has a check box. One of the lines, beside the check box it will has the exact name linux-headers-3.5.0-17. If it is checked then the headers are installed. If you are not sure, you can do a right click on this line and on the menu you will see the options to install, reinstall, upgrade, remove, etc. If the install option is greyed out then the headers are installed. If not, click on the install option and then on the synaptic window at the top, on the same line with the search box, press the apply icon. It will present you an information dialog window (or more than one): press apply (or ok) and wait to finish. After it finishes press close on the dialog (if it is not automatically closed) and close synaptics.

3. Open a terminal (you can do it from dash writing: terminal and pressing Enter on keyboard). On the terminal write:

a. git clone git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git

press Enter and wait to finish downloading and setting up the tree

b. cd media_build

press Enter

c. ./build

press Enter. It will take a few (or more than a few) minutes to finish because it will automatically download and compile the drivers for you.

d. Assuming that the previous step finished with no errors then write (on the same terminal window, always)

sudo make installthis

Probably it will ask for your password. Write it and press enter. Imediatelly will install the drivers for you.

e. execute on terminal sudo nautilus /home. It will open a fime manager window where you will see a folder with your username. This is your home directory. Find the attached file you downloaded from this post, extract it and copy it to this path:
    /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb-v2/ replacing the original file

f. Close the nautilus window. On terminal execute:

sudo depmod -a

It will take less than a few seconds to finish. After it finishes close everything and restart your computer. After you login again disconnect and then reconnect your stick. If you see a similar message on syslog to this:

Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.062117] usb 2-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.164218] usb 2-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=1b80, idProduct=d394
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.164223] usb 2-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.164227] usb 2-1.5: Product: usbtv
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.164229] usb 2-1.5: Manufacturer: realtek
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.171574] usb 2-1.5: dvb_usb_v2: found a 'Turbo-X DTT-1000 Digital TV tuner' in warm state
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 6: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5"
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 6 was not an MTP device
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.217205] usb 2-1.5: dvb_usb_v2: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.217220] DVB: registering new adapter (Turbo-X DTT-1000 Digital TV tuner)
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.220434] usb 2-1.5: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T))...
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.220760] fc0012: Fitipower FC0012 successfully attached.
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.229619] Registered IR keymap rc-empty
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.229719] input: Turbo-X DTT-1000 Digital TV tuner as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5/rc/rc1/input18
    Nov 11 13:01:23 ubuntu kernel: [65969.229788] rc1: Turbo-X DTT-1000 Digital TV tuner as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5/rc/rc1

then you are ok.

Now you only have to setup your tv application and this may prove difficult. As I said I am using Vlc because Me-TV did not work as expected. On Vlc everything is manual. You have to know the frequencies the dvb-tv channels for your location are broadcasted... Then you can setup a playlist with these frequencies stored and you can access the channels for each frequency from the VLC Menu: Playback (or Play?) -> Program...

Caution: these instructions are only for the 3.5.0-17 kernel. Most probably will not work for any other kernel because the attached file is compiled for the 3.5.0-17 kernel. That means if you upgrade your kernel your dvb-t stick will stop working.
    Last edited by milro; November 11th, 2012 at 12:16 PM.

Beans

Thanks for your help but i can't get it to work.
    I cleaned up the system from previous v4l installations and i tried with both 3.6.xx and 3.5.17 kernels and the result is the same(I thought that in the first post you said that you got it working with the 3.6 kernel ).
    Nothing interesting in syslog.
    Only some warnings during the build process like:

***WARNING:*** You do not have the full kernel sources installed.
    This does not prevent you from building the v4l-dvb tree if you have the
    kernel headers, but the full kernel source may be required in order to use
    make menuconfig / xconfig / qconfig.

WARNING: "sms_ir_exit" [/home/lsdalka/media_build/v4l/smsmdtv.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "sms_ir_event" [/home/lsdalka/media_build/v4l/smsmdtv.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "sms_ir_init" [/home/lsdalka/media_build/v4l/smsmdtv.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "snd_tea575x_set_freq" [/home/lsdalka/media_build/v4l/radio-shark.ko] undefined!

and during make install:
    Hmm... distro kernel with a non-standard place for module backports detected.
    Please always prefer to use vanilla upstream kernel with V4L/DVB

Furthermore the sudo depmod -a command lasts less than a second and doesn't give any output (probably normal)

Everything else is normal so maybe something else is missing(some service not running maybe)

Anyway I don't even watch much tv but it sucks not to be able to fix any pc issue.
    I'll definitely setup the SDR though (already done that in windows) which is pretty awesome with the exception that i couldn't tune in the police bandwith.Hahahaa

Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for your help but i can't get it to work.
    I cleaned up the system from previous v4l installations and i tried with both 3.6.xx and 3.5.17 kernels and the result is the same(I thought that in the first post you said that you got it working with the 3.6 kernel ).
    Nothing interesting in syslog.
    Only some warnings during the build process like:

***WARNING:*** You do not have the full kernel sources installed.
    This does not prevent you from building the v4l-dvb tree if you have the
    kernel headers, but the full kernel source may be required in order to use
    make menuconfig / xconfig / qconfig.

WARNING: "sms_ir_exit" [/home/lsdalka/media_build/v4l/smsmdtv.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "sms_ir_event" [/home/lsdalka/media_build/v4l/smsmdtv.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "sms_ir_init" [/home/lsdalka/media_build/v4l/smsmdtv.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "snd_tea575x_set_freq" [/home/lsdalka/media_build/v4l/radio-shark.ko] undefined!

and during make install:
    Hmm... distro kernel with a non-standard place for module backports detected.
    Please always prefer to use vanilla upstream kernel with V4L/DVB

Furthermore the sudo depmod -a command lasts less than a second and doesn't give any output (probably normal)

Everything else is normal so maybe something else is missing(some service not running maybe)

Anyway I don't even watch much tv but it sucks not to be able to fix any pc issue.
    I'll definitely setup the SDR though (already done that in windows) which is pretty awesome with the exception that i couldn't tune in the police bandwith.Hahahaa

Thanks again
    Well, sorry that it did not work out for you till now.
    The warnings from the build process are normal. To install the whole thing you have to do: sudo make install or else nothing will be installed...
    Why don't you try to replace the two files in the source folder (somewhere inside the media_build subfolders with the ones I've attached in my first post. Then from inside the media_build directory - folder execute (in a terminal window always) first:

make clean

then

make -C ./v4l

and after this command finishes

sudo make install

Reboot the machine and check the syslog.
    Caution: this will work only if you have at least once, previously, ececuted the ./build command inside the media_build folder.

About SDR... thanks for reminding me about this. I have, definitely, to check this out...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hi i'm doing this in mint 14 and get this error when running ./build

Code:
    In file included from include/linux/stat.h:61:0,
                     from include/linux/fs.h:400,
                     from include/linux/input.h:1167,
                     from /home/gmc/dvb-2382u/media_build/v4l/compat.h:9,
                     from <command-line>:0:
    include/linux/uidgid.h: In function 'gid_valid':
    include/linux/uidgid.h:128:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    Please submit a full bug report,
    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.7/README.Bugs> for instructions.
    The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
    make[3]: *** [/home/gmc/dvb-2382u/media_build/v4l/sn9c102_mt9v111.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/home/gmc/dvb-2382u/media_build/v4l] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.6.7-030607-generic'
    make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gmc/dvb-2382u/media_build/v4l'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    build failed at ./build line 452.
    i'm running kernel 3.6.7

Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux gmc-desktop 3.6.7-030607-generic #201211171710 SMP Sat Nov 17 22:18:03 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    i did this before on ubuntu 12.10 with kernel 3.6.3 without a problem.

can someone give me some hint to resolve this please.

My usb device is "Not Only TV LV5T Deluxe" LV5TDLX usbid 1f4d:c803
    Last edited by fmcgorenc; November 27th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu 12.10: How to install a DVB-T USB Stick based on a Realtek rtl2832u chip

Δεν μπορώ να κανω την ubuntu να δει το crypto redi pc 50 a επεισης η γνωσεις μου πανω στην linux ειναι λιγες παραθετω παρακατω τη διαβαζει το lsusb και το dmesg

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 1f4d:a803 G-Tek Electronics Group
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 064e:a103 Suyin Corp. Acer/HP Integrated Webcam [CN0314]
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

[ 4386.059600] usb 2-1: >USB disconnect, device number 5
    [ 4396.136059] usb 2-1: >new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
    [ 4396.279949] usb 2-1: >New USB device found, idVendor=1f4d, idProduct=a803
    [ 4396.279954] usb 2-1: >New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [ 4396.279957] usb 2-1: >Product: RTL2838UHIDIR
    [ 4396.279959] usb 2-1: >Manufacturer: Realtek
    [ 4396.279961] usb 2-1: >SerialNumber: 000000041

παρακαλω βοήθεια

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast