Thread: The Unaligned Mandate, Series of 7 RTS Derived Games, Intended Linux Support

Beans

The Unaligned Mandate, Series of 7 RTS Derived Games, Intended Linux Support

I am currently working on an open source game engine which I intend to use to develop a series of 7 games that are primarily RTS derived but possess features from various other genres like City Building, TBS, RPG, Crafting, Pet Management, and other genres.

The engine is a highly modified, eventually as much as 70% of the code, version of the Glest Advanced Engine, one of the two forks of Glest after it ended official development.

You can make a game/mod that is pure or contains parts of any of the above listed genres since I had to add support for each genre's feature set in order to make my weird genre hybrid games.

The engine is 3D and will be getting support for things like polar coordinates as I move down the development line. It will support at least models imported from Blender.

The engine continutes the GAE tradition of modding friendly code. My current project is integrating libRocket in order to provide a GUI based on web standard languages so that a larger number of people can easily modify it and which allows for easy access to tutorials and documentation.

Would a GUI written in common web languages make you more likely to contribute to a project? Scripting support should allow you to control every aspect of the GUI.

I would like to include Linux support if I can, as well as Mac support. However I have a lot of work and a limited amount of time.

Are there many Linux people who are looking for open source RTS games to play? I use Windows personally so I would probably need a lot of testers on Linux systems to deal with bugs. Is there much chance I could find that?

Thanks to anyone who can take the time to respond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: The Unaligned Mandate, Series of 7 RTS Derived Games, Intended Linux Support

If you check out the games here

http://www.lgdb.org/

and Desura

you will see a lot of RTS games based on various engines.

I think you should plan on linux support since no one is sure what is happening with Windows 8

Beans

Re: The Unaligned Mandate, Series of 7 RTS Derived Games, Intended Linux Support

There are quite a few FOSS RTS engines out there already. Admittedly the other stuff the engine will do might be of some interest but it's hard to get excited about another game engine if it's too much like the others that are already out there.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donkyhotay View Post
    There are quite a few FOSS RTS engines out there already. Admittedly the other stuff the engine will do might be of some interest but it's hard to get excited about another game engine if it's too much like the others that are already out there.
    What exactly is popular aside from Glest/MegaGlest and I guess 0 A.D? Does Spring have Linux support? I'm not really up on Linux stuff.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    What exactly is popular aside from Glest/MegaGlest and I guess 0 A.D?
    Have you looked here yet, as suggested earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    Does Spring have Linux support?
    Yes. Yes, it does. For instance, this game uses the Spring Engine, and runs on Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Have you looked here yet, as suggested earlier?

Yes. Yes, it does. For instance, this game uses the Spring Engine, and runs on Linux.

Well, I check out the links. I kinda wish I had Linux so I could play some of those, though I suspect many work on Windows, but I'm lazy.

http://glest.org/glest_board/index.php?topic=8567.0

The above link goes to my Glest thread which has links to a forum and also my blog/website(website is not currently much related to Mandate) about changes I have made to the engine as well as current features I'm working on and intended features in the future.

Note that none of my personal projects will be for multiplayer because multiplayer annoyingly limits the time span and I don't want to do that.

Based on my experience with 0 A.D. and Spring on Windows even my RTS specific feature set will be larger than those games. I think 0 A.D may have some better graphical effects because I dislike graphics programming.

Anyways thanks for info that anyone posted.