Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "More suggestions", (unity-lens-shopping) should have a settings 'opt out'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: "More suggestions", (unity-lens-shopping) should have a settings 'opt out'

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I seriously doubt there are any security issues here, anyone who Says there are should at least back it up.
    (similar to the unity-scope-video-remote which some may have found annoying but no security issues at all.

When a package is created it can be described to any extent, they could have done a better job there than the current -
    I agree with you, but many will complain, just for the sake of complaining, and not do anything about it, witness the two posters that have said they will switch to Debian, instead of taking part in the community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I seriously doubt there are any security issues here, anyone who Says there are should at least back it up.
    Where can I find the privacy policy that explains if or how my searches are shared with Amazon and other 3rd parties?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emdeem View Post
    Where can I find the privacy policy that explains if or how my searches are shared with Amazon and other 3rd parties?
    Not a clue other than their default PP

Now with a little searching of the lens source find this - "http://productsearch.ubuntu.com/" , which then leads to this report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1054677

(so it would appear that searches go to a canonical server, though the method of may cause some concern

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by emdeem View Post
    Try here. Note the phone numbers at the bottom of the page.
    Last edited by cariboo907; September 23rd, 2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: added info

Beans

Coincidence?
    Does the privacy policy allow the sharing of my UbuntuOne email address
    to ISV partners of which Amazon is one.
    The reason I ask is because just recently I started receiving
    emails from Amazon localdeals.
    Never used amazon and never had emails from them before.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Coincidence?
    Does the privacy policy allow the sharing of my UbuntuOne email address
    to ISV partners of which Amazon is one.
    The reason I ask is because just recently I started receiving
    emails from Amazon localdeals.
    Never used amazon and never had emails from them before.
    It probably is, check the Ubuntu One Privacy Policy here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Instead of posting here, please create a bug, and post your reasons why you think this is a bad idea. Make sure to mark it as a security issue.
    Please don't encourage people to file security bugs unless there is an actual security issue. People unhappy with Canonical and distro-hopping is not a security issue. I don't think a privacy bug is necessarily a security bug either.

For instance, if you publish an embarrasing picture from Shotwell to Facebook, that's a privacy issue. If Shotwell were to make it easy to accidentally do that, that's a privacy bug but it's not really a security bug.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Please don't encourage people to file security bugs unless there is an actual security issue. People unhappy with Canonical and distro-hopping is not a security issue. I don't think a privacy bug is necessarily a security bug either.

For instance, if you publish an embarrasing picture from Shotwell to Facebook, that's a privacy issue. If Shotwell were to make it easy to accidentally do that, that's a privacy bug but it's not really a security bug.
    I understand that this is a privacy issue, but I don't trust the way some people abuse the system, by using scripts to answer some bug reports, If marking the report as a security problem gets a real person to look at the report, even if it is just to change it. I'm all for it.

I also know my suggestion is an abuse of the system, and the developers are busy, but some times we the users feel ignored, so quick action on this issue would go a long way towards making the relationship between developers and users better.
    Last edited by cariboo907; September 23rd, 2012 at 05:46 AM. Reason: added info

Beans
    Distro

<This may be completely absurd>

I'd opt-in to this if I could choose where the money would go to.

Example: Suppose I live in FlatLand and I want the revenue I generate to go to FlatLand's LoCo latest projects:
    - Buy Ubuntu-based PCs for FlatLand public school;
    - Buy books or hire instructors to LoCo members that want to get into developing for Ubuntu;

Or maybe I want to support some Ubuntu OLPC project in some other country.

Wouldn't it make sense that people could fund Ubuntu-related projects, LoCo's, etc and not only Canonical, if they wanted to? IMO, people should have an option to support Ubuntu directly, not *only* indirectly (through Canonical).

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; September 23rd, 2012 at 06:51 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I'm quite new to Ubuntu and the Linux world is general, and am far less comfortable with Launchpad than with forums in general, so I'm going to express my concerns here rather than on Launchpad.

I'm really not in favour of this move from Canonical. If I'm searching using a browser, then I know that that search is public. However, if I'm searching my hard drive, I don't want that information being helpfully sent to Amazon, or anyone else.

If this is to be happen, please please please(!) make it opt-in rather than opt-out. I know what the command line code to remove the lens is, but that's not going to be the case in general. I'd like my searches on the desktop to be private.

I'm not going to throw my hands up and yell that I'm changing distros, but this has left something of a bitter taste for me. Anyhow, these are just my opinions as a new Ubuntu/Linux-in-general user. I figure that I'm the target demographic (those who just need that little bit of a push), and this has definitely clouded my opinion.

(Edit: very strange. Despite this being my sixth post according to "find posts by this user", I only have one bean. A single, solitary, lonely bean.)
    Last edited by awaiko; September 23rd, 2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Curiousity

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast