Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "More suggestions", (unity-lens-shopping) should have a settings 'opt out'

Beans

Re: "More suggestions", (unity-lens-shopping) should have a settings 'opt out'

I don't know if this thing has any kind of "contract/agreement" how it should be used between Canonical and "content provider" but my thoughts on the matter:

1.) Put all available "service provider" in Unity that you think can bring some income and users are interested.

2.) Tell users why you did this. For income and to bring services closer to them.

3.) In Filters area label every singe "content provider" with button (ON/OFF) and setting should stick. If ON then show results if OFF search data must not be sent to "content provider".

This could work and when Ubuntu user is interested in Amazon stuff it enables "content provider" named Amazon and finds what he/she wants and buy it and then if he/she does not wish to send any more search data to "content provider" named Amazon can turn "content provider" named Amazon to OFF.

If this will not work like this i imagine two things will happen:
    -After Ubuntu install "content provider" named Amazon will be UNINSTALLED.
    -If it will be "hard coded" in Unity then i guess a lot of negative press against Ubuntu will be made.

Give user total control and educate him/her how to use it to benefit both sides!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Not against the features and may even use them.
    Just would like a simple way to turn them on and off.
    My feelings too. I don't think even the missus would appreciate being bombarded with shopping suggestions when she's trying to use the laptop. In fact I know she won't. However, my feelings are that Ubuntu should be able to make a living from their creation as it gathers popularity, and I'm not against the idea completely. I just hope they figure it out to suit everyone.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans

If filters were provided for lens that return both local & online results that would be fine here.

Though in any event that does lead to filter options in lens not being persistent over sessions which they've declined to support in the past.

test the waters bug
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1054656

Beans

Though in any event that does lead to filter options in lens not being persistent over sessions which they've declined to support in the past.
    And this usually leads to UNINSTALL and beats the purpose and if "hard coded" would be next step then i guess a lot of bad press would follow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

An On/Off option should be added.
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

I've decided to make this post to voice my disapproval of and disappointment with your plans to integrate/display Amazon search results in Quantal. I've been using GNU/Linux for almost 16 years now; started with Slackware, then Red Hat, later used Debian for many, many years, and I switched to Ubuntu about a year ago. When Ubuntu generates revenue by providing services and support, I'm okay with that. However, opt-out-based changes, no matter how small, to search results or third party websites, are unacceptable to me. I cannot support a distribution that is doing this, so even though I'm using Xfce and not Unity, I'm going to migrate back to Debian. I may also discourage my friends to use Ubuntu any longer. In all honesty, thinking of what your plans may theoretically lead to, like querying a business when doing regular searches, scares me. I'm just a single person, but I think a lot of Ubuntu users out there share my sentiments. Anyways, time for bed; tomorrow time to reinstall Debian.

Beans

This really raises a host of problems, from privacy (e.g. transmission my desktop search terms to Amazon) to simple usablility (e.g. more crap to sort through when I search for something specific, or showing me stuff I can't even install like Windows software).

I understand Canonical wanting to get some revenue, but this really should be made opt-in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Instead of posting here, please create a bug, and post your reasons why you think this is a bad idea. Make sure to mark it as a security issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by ndejonge View Post
    I've decided to make this post to voice my disapproval of and disappointment with your plans to integrate/display Amazon search results in Quantal. I've been using GNU/Linux for almost 16 years now; started with Slackware, then Red Hat, later used Debian for many, many years, and I switched to Ubuntu about a year ago. When Ubuntu generates revenue by providing services and support, I'm okay with that. However, opt-out-based changes, no matter how small, to search results or third party websites, are unacceptable to me. I cannot support a distribution that is doing this, so even though I'm using Xfce and not Unity, I'm going to migrate back to Debian. I may also discourage my friends to use Ubuntu any longer. In all honesty, thinking of what your plans may theoretically lead to, like querying a business when doing regular searches, scares me. I'm just a single person, but I think a lot of Ubuntu users out there share my sentiments. Anyways, time for bed; tomorrow time to reinstall Debian.

I have been wanting to try Debian for a while, now seems a good time.

Beans

I seriously doubt there are any security issues here, anyone who Says there are should at least back it up.
    (similar to the unity-scope-video-remote which some may have found annoying but no security issues at all.

When a package is created it can be described to any extent, they could have done a better job there than the current -
    This package contains the "shopping" lens which can be used
    into Unity to shop online.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast