Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computers and Paranoia/Fear?

Beans

Computers and Paranoia/Fear?

I read alot of threads on this site and also on slashdot and alot of time I see people talking about companies being evil, skynet and things like that. Sometimes I wonder if this is people being paranoid, and if so what is the reason for this? Is it just that there are alot of paranoid people in the world? Is that sitting behind a computer for too long makes you have a paranoid view of the world? Is it that if your naturally paranoid then you are going to sit behind the computer alot to get away from dealing with people in the real world? Or are people right to be worrying about company X becoming skynet, or the robots taking over? I guess I want to know why some people are so afraid of some IT companies like Facebook, Google, Apple etc.
    Last edited by mr john; September 21st, 2012 at 04:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Computers and Paranoia/Fear?

I think many are afraid of companies because some companies are bad (not evil). A great example is microsoft. This company has now implemented spyware in windows, so they can monitor what you install (and maybe even have full access to all your files on your PC). They even get your IP adress. And they have implemented kill switch, wich means they can kill your OS. So I will ask you, is this a good behavior from a company? Am I paranoid when I point this out?

Beans

There is a lot of F.U.D broadcast on many Forums be it about Linux, Windows, OSX, Android or whatever. The vast majority of it can be completely ignore, some if it relates to ones own position can be looked at and considered. I personally ignore most of it, hard though when one is required to read thread after thread after thread.
    This account is not active.

Beans

This company has now implemented spyware in windows, so they can monitor what you install
    But surely the app markets in Apple, Ubuntu and Google can also log what applications people install. Is it so that they can monitor you, or is it just so that they can know how many people have downloaded a certain app? Are things like this really bad, or are these companies simply doing it so that they can provide a better, more relevant service to their users? What is the real harm of a company knowing what you've installed?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    But surely the app markets in Apple, Ubuntu and Google can also log what applications people install. Is it so that they can monitor you, or is it just so that they can know how many people have downloaded a certain app? Are things like this really bad, or are these companies simply doing it so that they can provide a better, more relevant service to their users? What is the real harm of a company knowing what you've installed?
    I don't care what they want to look at, if the PC of an old Man in the back of beyond in New Zealand is vitally important to them then they can have it.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I don't like to be monitored all the time. But if you like it, then that is your choice.
    And no, this is not the same as what other companies have done. On windows 8, there is a process that works all the time, that monitors every move you do. And then send the information to microsoft.

This is not a matter of monitoring stats of how many downloaded an app. Which is ok, because they only count how many times an app has been downloaded. No other information is stored.
    Last edited by pompel9; September 21st, 2012 at 05:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Many OS apps log what you do so that they can offer you abetter service by giving you your most frequent options. That's zeitgest, for example.

But pompel9 is talking about a feature that besides of logging all the info calls home. Maybe you are fine with it, but saying it is just the same as what other OSis a false equivalency.

Your claims of people talking about skynet makes me doubt about the seriousness of the thread.
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; September 21st, 2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: clean up
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Hidden!

I would like to see the confusing stuff they may collect from one of my operating systems. At one time it looks like I just did a fresh install, then it looks like I have installed a lot of applications, and suddenly it looks like a fresh install again. Restoring a Virtual Machine from a snapshot is wonderful.

Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

when you install something to crack (pirate) a program for example MS office (for the record i would not do that MS anything is a security risk IMO)
    BTW that feature is in Ubuntu (it is opt in)
    open software-properties-gtk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; September 21st, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

On mobile devices, app stores are great, as many sites still don't have mobile sites, and if you have 3G or lower signal, it is slow to load pages. Plus, there are less likely to be reviews on apps to begin with, so it is harder to tell if they are crap apps that can ruin your phone. That is why app stores on mobile devices are so nice, as long as you can still install software from other sources.
    On the desktop, there is no need other than to copy the mobile experience. Software with viruses and buggy software is more likely to have bad reviews on the desktop, so it is not as important. OS X is slowly becoming more resistant to installing apps from non Apple certified sources, and Windows is getting more and more controlling of their OS.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast