Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: getting it off ones chest

Beans

Re: getting it off ones chest

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I use Windows, but I have an Android phone...

What OS you use on your PC, has no effect on what OS you use on your phone.

Outside of iPhone = iTunes = Mac/Windows.

I agree since I have an iphone but absolutly hate apple... It was free so I took it... I hope apple didn't make too much money from me getting a free iphone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You don't "need" to use Kies. You can find all firmware via samfirmare.com and they got the flashing programs for you to flash it as well. As for the media synch, just mount the phone as a storage device and just use your filebrowser to drag and drop what you need.

And for contacts etc, you can sync via the internetz~

There is nothing Kies does that you can't do yourself except for maybe fiddling with SamsungApps.
    For the record, I think most firmware updates are done OTA anyway

Edit:
    Oh and yes, Kies is right up there together with iTunes in the category of "FML what an annoying application that I'm forced to use"
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I use Windows, but I have an Android phone...

What OS you use on your PC, has no effect on what OS you use on your phone.

Outside of iPhone = iTunes = Mac/Windows.
    I use Ubuntu, and I have an Android phone and tablet. , I also use Google for syncing data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Rather interesting issue that Android poses. I am investigating possible upgrade mobile devices to supersede a Motorola® W840, and the iPhone never came into the question, as metroPCS® does not support Apple® devices on their network. So far, neither Samsung® nor any other manufacturer has convinced me that any of their touchscreen models, Android or otherwise, can tolerate similar physical abuse to the W840's design requirements; even Corning® Gorilla Glass® II has its limits and I suspect it falls short of the military specification that drove the W840's engineering.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm sorry, but what on earth possessed you to use Kies? Better yet, why aren't you running Cyanogenmod?
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    I'm sorry, but what on earth possessed you to use Kies? Better yet, why aren't you running Cyanogenmod?
    I'm running Cyanogenmod on my SGS I9000. To be honest, I would rather run stock but since my device is "too old", Samsung doesnt provide the newer firmwares - so in my case, thanks to the amazing work of the CM team I can use ICS and soon JB without problems.

However, if I owned a SGS3, I would probably stick with stock for as long as I can. Stock roms are just better optimized with the hardware than custom roms are. And sadly, they will continue to be superior until the manufacturers release all the appropriate drivers so everything doesn't need to be reverse engineered all the time.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fontis View Post
    I'm running Cyanogenmod on my SGS I9000. To be honest, I would rather run stock but since my device is "too old", Samsung doesnt provide the newer firmwares - so in my case, thanks to the amazing work of the CM team I can use ICS and soon JB without problems.

However, if I owned a SGS3, I would probably stick with stock for as long as I can. Stock roms are just better optimized with the hardware than custom roms are. And sadly, they will continue to be superior until the manufacturers release all the appropriate drivers so everything doesn't need to be reverse engineered all the time.
    I don't think you've tried the CM10 nightlies. From my experience with the i9000, and the i9100, the stock firmware is pretty terrible. It's full of bloatware and most of Samsung's tweaks (pop up video, S Voice, tilt to zoom, etc. are pretty useless. The stock Google experience that Cyanogenmod offers blows the stock software out of the water. I have several friends who own the GS3 and the first thing I did was put them on CM10 nightlies.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Distro

I don't think you've tried the CM10 nightlies. From my experience with the i9000, and the i9100, the stock firmware is pretty terrible. It's full of bloatware and most of Samsung's tweaks (pop up video, S Voice, tilt to zoom, etc. are pretty useless. The stock Google experience that Cyanogenmod offers blows the stock software out of the water. I have several friends who own the GS3 and the first thing I did was put them on CM10 nightlies.
    Nah, I haven't tried the CM10 nightlies. CM9.1 on my SGS is doing super as it is. Only two things I could whine about, first one being that there is no FM radio app - (can't believe they haven't ported the stock one yet) and second thing being the battery time isn't as good as stock - but it's negligible considering what you get for it aka ICS smooth as hell.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fontis View Post
    Nah, I haven't tried the CM10 nightlies. CM9.1 on my SGS is doing super as it is. Only two things I could whine about, first one being that there is no FM radio app - (can't believe they haven't ported the stock one yet) and second thing being the battery time isn't as good as stock - but it's negligible considering what you get for it aka ICS smooth as hell.
    When I had the i9000 there was something preventing the phone from going into deep sleep when data when enabled, which had a pretty harsh impact on battery. That was a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure what the situation is like now. If you're running CM9, you might as well update to CM10 because CM9 is pretty much obsolete now and the teams are focusing their efforts on 4.1

As for the FM Radio, I don't think Cyanogenmod ever had a native FM radio app. Stock Android certainly doesn't. The one used in previous versions was borrowed from Miui but who knows if they still support that.

Try this, it's by a fellow XDA member. If that doesn't work, then the functionality probably isn't working in 4.0+ roms.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...os.fm_li&hl=en

Try that.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Distro

When I had the i9000 there was something preventing the phone from going into deep sleep when data when enabled, which had a pretty harsh impact on battery. That was a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure what the situation is like now. If you're running CM9, you might as well update to CM10 because CM9 is pretty much obsolete now and the teams are focusing their efforts on 4.1

As for the FM Radio, I don't think Cyanogenmod ever had a native FM radio app. Stock Android certainly doesn't. The one used in previous versions was borrowed from Miui but who knows if they still support that.

Try this, it's by a fellow XDA member. If that doesn't work, then the functionality probably isn't working in 4.0+ roms.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...os.fm_li&hl=en

Try that.

Thanks for the link mate.
    But in all honesty, I think the stock FM radio app for SGS is much better and cleaner. Btw I don't get why there isn't one by default anyway for free :s

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast