Thread: Touchpad More Sensitive Horizontally than Verticallly

Beans

Touchpad More Sensitive Horizontally than Verticallly

I'm dual-booting Windows Vista and Ubuntu 12.10 on a Sony Vaio laptop. This is a fairly minor annoyance, but while running Ubuntu, the touchpad is more sensitive in the left-right direction than in the up-down direction. While running Vista on the same machine, this is not a problem. The system settings only allow me to change the overall sensitivity and acceleration, rather than changing the sensitivity in each dimension independently. Any help would be much appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Touchpad More Sensitive Horizontally than Verticallly

I have a Sony Vaio too and I noticed that with the up and down motion I have to be closer to the edge of the pad for it to be more effective to the touch.
    My Vaio is only about 4 months old.
    If you have had your Vaio for a long time the touch pad could be getting wore out-

You have to hold down and be farther away from the space bar when you hold down to right click.

Sometimes it scrolls easily when I don't want it to-

Very rarely do I use my touchpad because I use a wireless mouse with my Vaio:-

If you keep having this annoyance try getting a wireless mouse or call Sony they have always given me great support.
    I'm using a Logitech and it works well.

Here's a video on How To Troubleshoot the touchpad with your Vaio
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0B8sDr5XI

Hope this helps
    "A morning w/o coffee is like something w/o something else"

-:- Slackware, Linux Mint & CentOS -:-

Beans

It's nothing like that. I've had my Vaio for four years, and haven't noticed any touchpad wear while running Windows. If I move my finger around in a circle on the touchpad while running Windows, the cursor moves in a circle. If I move my finger around in a circle on the touchpad while running Ubuntu, the cursor consistently moves in an ellipse. This continues to happen even after rebooting or shutting down and restarting.

Beans
    Distro

If your touchpad works just fine when your Vaio is booted in Windows but behaves differently with Ubuntu; I suspect that it could potentially be a bug.

If it were a hardware functionality issue it would most likely present it's self in Windows as well.

only allows me to change overall sensitivity and acceleration
    I find this perplexing and worth re-search. Maybe there is mention of this in the Hardware forum:-
    If there is a way around it I'll post it-
    I tend not to give up easily-

I'm far from the expert at this however Scott Mueller is a really intelligent guy. I'm learning about 2nd and 3rd generation acceleration and how motherboards work from the books he writes.
    http://forum.scottmueller.com/
    http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=796

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Okay, I've learned a few things. Using the following command:

Code:
    xinput list
    I learn that my pointing device is identified as:

Code:
    SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                  id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    Then I can list the properties for the device using the command:

Code:
    xinput list-props 11
    One of the properties is listed as:

Code:
    Synaptics Pad Resolution (295):    106, 64
    According to the xorg archive,these two numbers (106 and 64) are used to compensate unequal vertical and horizontal sensitivity. Unfortunately, this is one of the few read-only properties of the device. I attempted to set the VertResolution and HorizResolution options (which are used to calculated the Pad Resolution) by creating the following 50-synaptics.conf file in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory:

Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier      "Synaptics TouchPad"
            Driver          "synaptics"
            Option         "VertResolution" "44.89"
            Option         "HorizResolution" "44.89"
    EndSection
    This fixes the touchpad issue, but unfortunately it also disables my keyboard.
    Last edited by BlindSoothsayer; March 8th, 2013 at 11:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

This fixes the touchpad issue, but unfortunately it also disables my keyboard.
    Jeez; when it rains it pours doesn't it-
    our Vaios might have a on screen keyboard.....don't know; I'll check -

Anyway by "disables your keyboard" do you mean that you can not even type one single character (or) as in 'Power Management" the keys (backlit/backlight) won't light ?
    Last edited by UltimateCat; March 9th, 2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Additional thought

Beans

I mean I can't type a single character. I can use the onscreen keyboard. When the keyboard is functional, xinput lists the following:

Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                  id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sony Vaio Keys                              id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ UVC Camera (05ca:18b3)                      id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    After correcting the touchpad, input id's 6-10 are missing. I guess I will just tolerate the touchpad until I figure out how to configure everything properly with X11.

Beans
    Distro

I guess I will just tolerate the touchpad until I figure out how to configure everything properly with X11.
    Yeah; I think so because I can't think of anything else to try.

Here's the Ubuntu Vaio Testing team. They might be helpful. Not sure but you might have to write to them.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestin...%20Sub%20Pages

And here's a Vaio Ubuntu blog if you wanna read thru that.

http://vaioubuntu.wordpress.com/
    http://myubuntublog.wordpress.com/ta...aio-vgn-ns11j/

Not sure if these links will help but I tried-