Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GIMP 2.8 in Ubuntu 12.04: yes or no?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question GIMP 2.8 in Ubuntu 12.04: yes or no?

In 12.04 Gimp has version 2.6. I however want to install 2.8. As I understand this necessitates the installation via a PPA.
    However, on many forum threads, I read warnings not to install programs lightly using ppa's.

So, what should I do? Install Gimp

(I'm not sure whether this post belongs on this forum, but as there's no "software" forum, I think this is the best place.)
    Last edited by Jenske; September 14th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: GIMP 2.8 in Ubuntu 12.04: yes or no?

I'm not sure if 2.8 holds any improvements that you want, but I think you can trust their ppa.

The only reason why caution is advised with external ppa's, is because any Joe Blow can make and post a ppa that can contain harmful software.

The designers of Gimp are not some random hoods, and 2.8 will eventually be in the software center.

Adding the ppa just gives you a head start, because Canonical still has yet to evaluate and add the newer version to the software center.

This is usually the case will most major software developers. (Libre Office for example.)

Thats my opinion anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I have GIMP 2.8.2 installed from this PPA with no issues. I say go for it.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans

As mentioned and as is my own opinion, PPA's should only be used when absolutely necessary, and with caution.

If you want the latest version in a hurry another option is to get the source tarball directly from GIMP's website and compile and install it yourself. Complilation takes a little while for it to finish but it's not really that difficult, especially if you've done it before. You just say "go" and wait until it's done.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by heminder View Post
    As mentioned and as is my own opinion, PPA's should only be used when absolutely necessary, and with caution.

If you want the latest version in a hurry another option is to get the source tarball directly from GIMP's website and compile and install it yourself. Complilation takes a little while for it to finish but it's not really that difficult, especially if you've done it before. You just say "go" and wait until it's done.
    Compiling GIMP 2.8 is a royal pain in the butt (take it from someone who tried before a PPA was available).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    Compiling GIMP 2.8 is a royal pain in the butt (take it from someone who tried before a PPA was available).
    Really? I compiled GIMP 2.8 on Lucid, which needed me to fetch all the new depenencies too. Getting the dependencies was a little annoying but it wasn't that bad.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by heminder View Post
    Really? I compiled GIMP 2.8 on Lucid, which needed me to fetch all the new depenencies too. Getting the dependencies was a little annoying but it wasn't that bad.
    I had a lot of dependency issues on 11.10/12.04. Never did figure it out, so it may have been something really simple. Either way, I'd still recommend the PPA, but that's just my personal preference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Go ahead and use that PPA. I've been using it since 2.8 came out with no issues at all.

GIMP 2.8 is much better than 2.6, hands down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You definitely should be cautious about using PPAs, but, as others have said, that is generally because every PPA added is an additional source of possible bugs/security issues, particularly if the PPA is managed by a "Joe Blow" who isn't that skilled at keeping things neat and up-to-date. Typically, for major and widely-used pieces of software, the PPAs are more reputable. The GIMP 2.8 PPA is likely to be fine.

I would go ahead and use it if only for the single-window mode available in GIMP 2.8, assuming that you're using the Unity desktop. The single-window mode works much more nicely with Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It is good to be wary about PPAs, just double check that the PPA you are installing is legit and that there are no major bugs in the packaged version (the version of the PPA is stable and not a cutting edge, test one).

In the case of the 2.8 PPA, it works well and GIMP is so much nicer now.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast