Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Installation problem

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    70

    Re: Installation problem

    Again the same.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    209
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installation problem

    Quote Originally Posted by AADAS View Post
    Again the same.
    Can you post the contents of /var/log/dist-upgrade/apt.log?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    70

    Re: Installation problem

    There is no dist-upgrade in log.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    209
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installation problem

    Quote Originally Posted by AADAS View Post
    There is no dist-upgrade in log.
    Odd... Do you not use "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" when you upgrade your system? Try running "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to see if it creates a dist-upgrade in log. It ought to.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    70

    Re: Installation problem

    ubuntu@ip-10-252-62-231:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    nepenthes:i386 : Depends: libadns1:i386 (>= 1.4) but it is not installed
    Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.8) but it is not installed
    Depends: libcap2:i386 (>= 2.10) but it is not installed
    Depends: libcurl3-gnutls:i386 (>= 7.16.2-1) but it is not installed
    Depends: libgcc1:i386 (>= 1:4.1.1) but it is not installed
    Depends: libmagic1:i386 but it is not installed
    Depends: libpcap0.8:i386 (>= 0.9.8) but it is not installed
    Depends: libpcre3:i386 (>= 8.10) but it is not installed
    Depends: libstdc++6:i386 (>= 4.6) but it is not installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
    and no new folder.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    209
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installation problem

    Quote Originally Posted by AADAS View Post
    ubuntu@ip-10-252-62-231:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    nepenthes:i386 : Depends: libadns1:i386 (>= 1.4) but it is not installed
    Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.8) but it is not installed
    Depends: libcap2:i386 (>= 2.10) but it is not installed
    Depends: libcurl3-gnutls:i386 (>= 7.16.2-1) but it is not installed
    Depends: libgcc1:i386 (>= 1:4.1.1) but it is not installed
    Depends: libmagic1:i386 but it is not installed
    Depends: libpcap0.8:i386 (>= 0.9.8) but it is not installed
    Depends: libpcre3:i386 (>= 8.10) but it is not installed
    Depends: libstdc++6:i386 (>= 4.6) but it is not installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
    and no new folder.
    Wait a minute... This nepenthes package, how did you try to install it? It doesn't exist in precise, as far as I can tell. Did you try to install a .deb file not from the repos? Or are you using a PPA of some kind?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    70

    Re: Installation problem

    Quote Originally Posted by jrog View Post
    Did you try to install a .deb file not from the repos?
    Yes.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    209
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installation problem

    Quote Originally Posted by AADAS View Post
    Yes.
    Okay, well, that's the source of your problem. You can't just install a .deb and expect the dependencies to be resolved for you; dpkg (the low-level tool for installing .deb files) doesn't do that. You either need to manually install the dependencies that the system is telling you are needed (which can be a somewhat involved process), or you need to clear out the packages that you tried manually installing. If you decide to do the latter, a first step may be to try:

    Code:
    dpkg --purge nepenthes
    Then try using apt-get to update and upgrade, e.g., sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Let us know what happens. (Based on your first post, you may also be having problems with gnustep, but we'll get to that after you try this out first.)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    70

    Re: Installation problem

    dpkg: warning: there's no installed package matching nepenthes

    It is nepenthes:i386 not nepenthes.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    209
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installation problem

    Quote Originally Posted by AADAS View Post
    dpkg: warning: there's no installed package matching nepenthes

    It is nepenthes:i386 not nepenthes.
    So did you try both or just nepenthes? Do "sudo dpkg --purge nepenthes:i386", then. (The prior command also should have had a "sudo" in front of it; sorry about that.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •